Illegal Swimming Pool – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Illegal Swimming Pool

Page 1 / 7

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@finloral)
Eminent Member

Hi Everyone

We've hit a hitch in our purchase as we have discovered that our dream house has no construction or utilisation licence for its pool.
Nor is there a licence for the borehole.
Does anyone know how easy it is to get these licences and how we would go about it?
Or shoiuld we start looking for another house?????
Thanks
Ali and Lorraine

31 Replies

VIP Member
(@gary-osman)
Prominent Member

hi, im in the process of buying a property at the moment which threw up the issue of unlicenced pool, my solicitor has applied on my behalf for the licence and doesnt seem to think there will be a problem getting one but as for time to get it , how longs a piece of string seems to be the best answer to that one :? , quoted at first 4-5 weeks, now at least 9-10 weeks later still no news and no further to a completion date either :(

1 Reply
Community Member
(@katla)

any updates? I'm in the same position I really like a property that has a beautiful high-end albeit unlicensed pool and spa in pharaoh district. Did your lawyer have any luck getting yours licensed? What was the cost involved if so. Thank you

VIP Member
(@bruxinha)
Famed Member

Sorry, but usually around these parts it takes about 9 months to a year to get a pool licence to build one. It did for my family and my neighbours. Maybe, Gary your lawyer is "in the know" ....no idea. :? Our borehole renewal licence also took 6 months recently.

Personally, I'd keep looking, Finloral. If in the meantime, the owners want to sort it and you are still looking by the time they've got all the paperwork sorted, then you could think again.

VIP Member
(@gary-osman)
Prominent Member

my situation i think is different in that the pool is already built , has been for over twenty to thirty years i think but obviously back then getting permission might have been secondary, to be able to continue with purchase i presume it has to be registered on any plans etc, is this correct bruxy, in which case i presume that this is a quicker process than gaining permission to build new , which in some areas seems now to be almost impossible to get, any apologies if i read the original post incorrectly :?

VIP Member
(@bruxinha)
Famed Member

Have the same owners lived there all that time? That is quite a long time. Of course, laws change and things may be different over the years, but basically a pool has to appear on the certidão at the Conservatória do Registo Predial and on the cadernetas at Finanças, as it will also affect the IMI rateable value etc..oh, and any maps, of course. The problem in Portugal is that often people have a tendency to say timescales, which in the end bear no relation to reality. The best thing though, Gary is to keep on the backs of people. I hate having to do that, but unfortunately found it to be necessary, so keep chasing, so they get fed up with you. I can only say what I have found to be true these days. A pool needs to have both a construction and utilization licence from the Câmara Municipal and from scratch sure takes a long time. Just picked up some mail for some friends. They have an illegal pool and one of their letters was an advice about the impending meeting concerning their fine. On the letter it states that the fine will be between €498.80 and €199.519.16 for individuals or up to €448.918.11 for companies. Quite a range!

Page 1 / 7

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online