Income property in the Algarve - Page 2 – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Income property in the Algarve

Page 2 / 3

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

Hi Folks,

Any advice or experience about buying income property in the Algarve? We will live in our new home in Azeitão but are considering income property in the Algarve with the idea that we could use it a few times a year for ourselves. Obviously, we're not the first people to have done this so maybe we're fooling ourselves that it could be financially sound.

Would buying in one of the full-featured resorts be a better (or worse) investment? I was thinking it might be easier to get short term rentals in those resorts (and the resorts do all the management usually). 

Anyway, any thoughts or concerns would be appreciated.

27 Replies

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

Oh it’s not fun if you don’t spend several months on legal stuff, like I have been doing.😂

3 Replies
Community Member
(@martin)

Famed Member

@aspidistra 

if you have not seen it..here is an excellent 4 min training video

036 - YouTube

Community Member
(@aspidistra)

Estimable Member

@martin ha ha that’s perfecto 😂

Premium Member
(@tygger)

Estimable Member

@martin Obviously that's in Spain, but is atypical of the EU mindset, sadly coming to the UK soon 🤬

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

I think it's just amusing because dealing with bureaucracy is a universal problem, applies to many situations and countries.

Community Member
(@martin)
Famed Member

difference in Portugal with bureaucracy is that they are there to stop you (as the film shows) 

in the uk the bureaucrats are there to serve and help you.  As one Goan Portuguese speaking man once remarked that when he worked for the uk civil service years ago  any letter were always signed "your obedient servant" 

in Portugal he remarked the civil service are not obedient nor are they servants.

in truth its a clever political system that everyone is most of the time "illegal" and have to get their bits of paper signed or stamped by camara staff who are there to protect their own jobs

it was said that in the USSR people spent half their working time in line for food, methinks that in portugal people spend half their working lives in line for some licence or whatever

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

Does anyone know, if you are doing holiday rentals on the AL licence, is their a maximum time a person can stay for it to be deemed a holiday let? For example, if I let my place for 6 months, would that not be legal under their terms and would be deemed a normal house let?

1 Reply
Admin
(@thomasribatejo)

Reputable Member

@aspidistra I understand there is no legal maximum to an AL term - however, non-AL rentals are subject to different legislation and taxation, and I think it may be to your advantage not to run long lets through as AL.  I'd discuss what you have in mind with your accountant, to ensure legality and also correct allocation for tax purposes (including not overpaying).

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

Yes the builder who is doing work for me says 'they'll wreck everything'. 😀 Actually I have rented out property before but not as holiday lets and I found that yes, you have to kind of let go of the fact that things get broken and look at the bigger picture. 
I certainly haven’t ever had to deal with people trying to make fictional complaints for money!

Page 2 / 3

• EI Banner
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online