Is AirBnB Rental Contract Acceptable for Residence Certificate? – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Is AirBnB Rental Contract Acceptable for Residence Certificate?  

Community Member
(@woodbine)

I'm a UK citizen rapidly running out of time to find somewhere to rent before the end of the year/transition period. I need a rental contract to secure a residence cert (CRUE).

Would an AirBnB contract be acceptable to the town hall? How long would it have to be for? I would prefer the normal route - renting a small flat or house, but need to explore other options. Also are there any restrictions to visiting town halls with the Covid situation?

Thanks for any help and advice.

6 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Some camaras accept AirBnB addresses, some don't.

Some camaras are still walk-in, some are by appointment only.

Don't focus too much on getting the registration certificate before 31/12/20. The important  thing is to establish residence in Portugal before 31/12/20 and maintain residence in Portugal. If you can achieve that you have until 30/06/21 to register under current EU citizen rules.

4 Replies
Community Member
(@woodbine)

@old-bloke   Thank you for your reply, old-bloke. If I manage to establish residence before 31/12/20, and have until end June '21 to register - would I have to show 3 months residence in Portugal?

And would those 3 months need to be in 2020 before end of transition - which would obviously be impossible? Or can the 3 month period begin in Dec '20 until Feb '21?

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@woodbine

The 3 month period before registering has been suspended under Article 19 of the Withdrawal Agreement for UK citizens.

If you don't manage to get an appointment with the camara to register before 31/12/20, when you do come to register you will have to prove that you were residing in Portugal before 31/12/20.  Therefore save your flight ticket, collect every receipt you get, give your NIF number at the supermarket when you get your shopping, i.e. collect anything and everything you can to evidence your presence in Portugal started before 31/12/20.

If you haven't yet chosen where you want to be in Portugal, anecdotal reports indicate that accommodation, Financas offices (for NIF) and Camaras (for registration) are all quicker and easier to access away from the main tourist/immigration hotspots (e.g. Algarve/Lisbon/Porto/Coimbra). (My local Financas was walk-in last week).

Community Member
(@woodbine)

@old-bloke

That's great news. I didn't realise the 3 month period was suspended. Can I ask two more questions, please?

1) Which order should I apply for the residence certificate and NIF? Certificate first then NIF - or vice versa?

2) There seem to be two residence certificates - Residence Cert For EU Residents (CRUE) from Camara Municipal and Certificate Of Residence/Certificado De Residente from Junta Da Freguesia. I presume as a UK citizen I need the CRUE, but do I also need the second one?

Thanks for your help. Now if I can only get an address in Portugal from somewhere.  

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@woodbine

Oh dear,

1) - Each camara (municipal council) seems to apply the rules differently, some want a NIF before they'll issue a CRUE, others don't. You'll just have to go with the flow (welcome to Portuguese bureaucracy). I would just get the NIF first as it is one of the documents that you will be asked for the most and is the easiest to get.

2) - There is only one residence certificate, the CRUE. The other document you refer to from the Junta (parish council) is an Attestado. It's just an attestation signed by president of the Junta after two residents of that Junta have confirmed that you live where you claim. Again some camaras want it, others don't. Mine did but that was the only time I've ever been asked for it.

Community Member
(@woodbine)

Thanks old-bloke. Much appreciated.

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online