Is My Wishlist Unrealistic? – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Ei! Migration Banner

Is My Wishlist Unrealistic?  

embu
Community Member
(@embu)
Eminent Member

Hi, 

I have been doing some research and I am thinking I would like to settle in Central Portugal or the Alentejo area. 

I would like:

A rural area, eg just outside a village

A village/small town with some amenities, eg shop, café and market say within 10km (I saw a property on line a few weeks ago where the village was 1km away - walking distance to the café - and the larger town was 6km away, with weekly markets in the village and the town) 

A minimum of 2 bedrooms

A large garden or a bit of land

Close to river beaches

Close to hiking/walking trails (not so important as I could walk in the area I lived if it is a rural area)  

A detached property that only requires a bit of cosmetic tidying and not a full refurbishment - lots of the property I have seen looks abandoned and derelict! Must have electric and water and the possibility of broadband! (though from living in rural Somerset for 15years I realise asking for broadband may be a step too far!!)

The important bit! A maximum budget of £50,000!

I was going to do a few visits to look at different areas with a view to buying straight away, but I am now thinking it may be best to rent for 6months (I'm going to watch the renting/buying webinar next) and travel different areas, but I am conscious that renting would be also eating into my budget. Once I have a property sorted out I can live frugally on a shoestring... 

But fundamentally my wish list would remain the same - is it unrealistic?? 😔 

Many Thanks  

6 Replies

embu
Community Member
(@embu)
Eminent Member

Just to add that I have heard a few people saying they are going to buy land in Portugal, but I have already been told you can't do a self build property, unless its a certified builder (shame as my partner is a builder!) but how would the authorities look at things like erecting a wooden lodge or a bringing in a

'park home' or similar? Some of the people saying they are buying land have camper vans and plan to live in those or caravans...?!  

Thanks 

VIP Member
(@peterfc)
Famed Member

Hi

How many houses do you want for 50,000€.

Have a look on the forum Property list and also PurePortugal If your husband is a builder there are plenty for under 25,000€ that you could move into and renovate in your own time.

Often in a village like mine there is building work going on that can't be seen from the road two houses are being worked on.

Don't forget to let the Forum know how you get on.

Peter

2 Replies
 embu
Community Member
(@embu)

Eminent Member

@peterfc

Hi Peter, Thank you for your reply. I have carried out a search on the forum property list and just keep getting 'no results found' so I don't know if my search is incorrect in some way...

But I've just had a quick scan on Pure Portugal and there looks to be a few contenders! 

Many thanks - I appreciate your help 😊 

embu
Community Member
(@embu)

Eminent Member

@peterfc 

Sorry I forgot to ask - are you saying its ok to do your own renovation work? Or only as long as nobody knows?! 😆  Thanks! 

Community Member
(@temadam)

I'd strongly advise against doing unauthorised building work, as ultimately if the authorities find out, you can be fined and even asked to take down any unauthorised structures you've erected.

On the question of your £50,000 budget which is €55,000, that is not reasonable for what you want. For that price you'd be looking at a total and profound renovation of a shell of a building. Of course the further east and the more remote you go, the lower property prices drop, so your best chance is somewhere totally isolated close to the Spanish border. Note also that Alentejo does not have river beaches, but central Portugal is the area that has them.

Community Member
(@peggyl)
Estimable Member

I wish you much luck in your search. We looked at homes for 6 months and never, ever heard of or saw anything that would fit your wants/needs for 50,000 euro and I'm wondering if your 50,000 budget includes the taxes or if you have other money set aside for the taxes due at the time of purchase? I also discourage you from doing your own renovations without a permit. There are a lot of local, individual craftsmen who will do the work and allow your husband to help to cut the cost but you will need someone who knows the codes & regulations when building. There are different rules for interior building/remodeling and exterior building/remodeling. I also encourage you to do a lot of looking at different areas in Portugal because there are so many different climates and different communities. You may want to rent in an area before buying unless you are absolutely sure of what you are buying. 

Best of luck @peggyL

Mia Esmeriz Acadamy Banner 1

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online