Lawyer for property purchase: Cuba/Beja/Evora – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

Lawyer for property purchase: Cuba/Beja/Evora

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@portofakiwi)
Estimable Member

I'm interested in a rural property in Alentejo  (Cuba/Beja/Evora area) and would like to make an offer shortly, so I'd like to line up a lawyer to move things along from there.

Can anybody recommend somebody in the general area?
I assume you its best to have somebody local, please correct me if I'm wrong?!

1 Reply

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)
Estimable Member

It can make some difference to have someone within easy travelling distance, if any manual searches/visits are required, or where the escritura (notary-based completion) takes places near the property.

However, we have mostly found the former element to be conducted remotely (online or by post), so the more major element could be the escritura. Where this takes place depends on the respective locations of buyers and sellers, and is by agreement. However, this seems often to mean wherever is convenient for the seller! So, if they're in Lisbon or Porto, it may happen there. I'd ask the agent where the sellers live/are likely to want to go for the notary.

(The issue in all this is travel cost and time - it's perhaps marginal, but if you had an Algarve lawyer, and got a 9am notary appointment in Coimbra, say, you might end up paying their travel plus hotel plus travel time, in a worst case)

The other advantage of a "local-type" lawyer is that there is no need to pay flashy city prices for the service. If the lawyer has experience of property transactions, good English, and is recommended, that's all you need for the purpose. This should cost no more than 700-800€ plus any search fees, plus travel. (This excludes notary fees and taxes/duty, etc, of course). Some "international-type" lawyers charge many multiples of these, sometimes for added-value services (which you may not need) or sometimes just because people don't know and will pay.

In short, go for an honest, recommended, local-type lawyer in a place which makes sense (in this case, my guess is in Beja, Evora, Setúbal or Lisbon districts) unless you need them to deal with a non-property matter which is unusual or complex as well.

Thomas

Discover the beautiful Ribatejo!
facebook.com/groups/ribatejoliving

Need help with planning, surveys and restoration?  Contact us!
reabilitejo.pt or facebook.com/reabilitejo

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online