Legionnaires Disease – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Legionnaires Disease

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@flannery_k)
Estimable Member

Many may be aware, but just in case.........

all taps/showers etc should be run at least once a week for several minutes. the mortality rate is approx 10%.

holiday homes unoccupied for some time, are a potential risk. ie unless actions above are followed. e.g. stagnant water in shower head, person gets into shower, a confined space, turns on water, it is then aerosolised and person may inhale........

ie if turning on showers in hotel rooms, especially ones that seem damp or not to have been recently occupied, 1st thing to do before children elderly etc enter, is flush toilets (with lid down) and run shower for several minutes, ie air the room. turn away as you turn on etc....

for more see

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HP ... 4089027886

5 Replies

VIP Member
(@itsmeagain)
Noble Member

Blimey! Thanks for this flannery_k.

We leave our property unattended for months so I think I might start running the water when we arrive after a break.

VIP Member
(@lobito)
Famed Member

Some electric heating water systems raise automatically the temperature up to 60°C or so once a week because of that.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@flannery_k)
Estimable Member

Microbiology is complex and way beyond me but from my reading...

both of these quotes are from p.2.

Where can legionella multiply?
1. Hot and cold water systems including storage tanks/cisterns.
2. Any system or part of a system where the water is warm-between 20°C and 45°C, and particularly when above 30°C

Keep hot water hot and circulating at all times: 50C - 60C (too hot to put hands into or under for more than a few seconds)

ie at least running the taps/showers/toilets etc once a week is a step in the right direction....and probably as much as most can achieve.

I will check with some one on Monday, but I think the temperature would have to be cold or to be a constant 50-60C to work, otherwise you are back to the old faithfuls chlorine etc....

VIP Member
(@notlongnow)
Prominent Member

There was also a recent story about legionnaires from car windscreen water. They found a high instance of the disease in long distance lorry drivers. ALWAYS put screen wash in your windscreen water and shut the window before you spray.

It sounds daft but it it is true. My wife accidentally squirted me with the windscreen water on a hire car a couple of months ago and it freaked me out having read the story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10293519

B

www.movingtoportugal.org
www.foodandwineportugal.com

Page 1 / 2

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online