No Rent During Covid – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Wow Wines Banner

No Rent During Covid

Topic starter
(@pjackp)

In USA during Covid a law was passed that people don't need to pay rent for an extended amount of time. A landlord cannot evict a tenant who doesn't pay rent. (This is an oversimplification but basically is what happened.)

Has this happened in Portugal? Is it likely it ever will happen? It's something to consider as far as investing in real estate properties to rent out.

1 Reply

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@anavieira)

Hi Jack,

As far as my knowledge goes there were some helps from the government regarding rents but only if the tenant has special conditions regarding losses of income.

They were helped to pay the rents if they apply for help from a governmental department. (They would make a loan of the value of the rent to help tenants pay landlords, as there are many landlords for whom rents are their only form of income.)

The rules applied during «emergency State» periods and for what I have heard, not so many people asked for help because of all the papers/documents needed.

What happened in many cases - also mine - were that tenants and landlords talk to each other trying to find a way to do it the best way possible. No penalties for delays, some reductions in some periods, etc.

During the state of emergency period, it was also not possible to terminate contracts and a landlord cannot evict a tenant who doesn't pay rent.

In no case the rents were eliminated. They were just postponed.

State of emergency is no longer in place in Portugal.

I hope this helps you 🙂

Ana

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online