Power lines - another issue – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Power lines - another issue

Page 1 / 6

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@maidentales)
Reputable Member

I was just about to post mine when I saw the other post and this is a related topic.

We have power lines running behind our property which are about 7 meters from the back of the house.

The station holding the lines is smack bang in the middle of our view down the courtyard and only around 10 meters from the house sandwiched between the house and the outbuildings.

Whilst I suspect it would be an uphill struggle to get the line moved, is there such a thing as being far too close to an actual property and as such being an actual danger to the property itself and therefore provides a good case for moving the lines?

During storms, the power cable itself has been hit on at least 3 occasions now (in fact, we have had only 3 major storms and each time the power line has been struck) and we loose all our electrics with a bang.

There is a neighbours property that also has a similar problem and they also have a stantion on their land with the cables running around 7 meters from the rear of their property.

The questions are:

in the UK a rent is paid to the landowner to keep a stantion on that person's property. Can this be claimed within Portugal?

also, with this being on our land, are we restricted on what we can grow beneath and around the land and, as we are unable to plant any forestry and would we therefore be entitled to compensation from edp?

is this proximity dangerous to the property itself?

I ought to add that these are not the huge power lines with the 'balls' on them - they look like 'local' cables - with 3 cables attached - one at the top and 2 to the sides.

We don't even think that they are the electrical 'feed' to this village and they bypass the village to go over the hill in the direction of Mortagua.

These are the sort of cables that, in the UK, would be buried and therefore not a danger to any property in the way that these lines appear to be.

Mandy

29 Replies

VIP Member
(@dave-sarah)
Estimable Member

Hi Mandy

A quick question. Were the cables there when you bought your house?

VIP Member
(@paramonte)
Honorable Member

If the cables are actually in your property you can ask EDP to remove them. The law is in your side hands down.

I would not ask EDP to pay rent on them (which you are entilted to) because that will give EDP the oportinuty to, for instance, upgrade the low tension line to a high tension, and I am sure you would not want that.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@maidentales)
Reputable Member

Yes - the cables were on the land when we bought the house, which is a reason we believe the property price was lower than we consider the market value to actually be and why it was struggling to sell even though it was in good order.

VIP Member
(@paramonte)
Honorable Member

Before contacting EDP find out which property/industry is the power line feeding (if any)

Page 1 / 6

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Serenity Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online