Price of Land (per square meter) *central Portugal* – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

spartan Fx

Price of Land (per square meter) *central Portugal*

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@charw23)
Trusted Member

Does anyone happen to know what the price of raw land, per square meter, is running in Central Portugal? There are many old websites, but nothing I can find that is *current* price per square meter. 

Thanks for reading. 🙂

Char

8 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

Central Portugal is a large and vaguely defined area - it's not generally used as the basis for statistics, other than a few things like tourism.

You can find statistics slightly more easily when looking by district (which is an undisputed division of land), and sometimes at the EU "NUTS III" region level (these are usually smaller areas than districts).

However, even then there's a significant variation by:

Terrain

Agricultural potential

Location relative to transport and other infrastructure

Urban or rural classification

For example, Santarém district has some of the country's most valuable agricultural land; but also scraggy, sandy heathland with no potential to grow, graze or build - so huge price variances.

So, if you refine your search in geographical terms, and also type terms, it may be easier to find answers.

Bear in mind - land classified as rural cannot generally be built on; and generally you cannot get habitation licenses for buildings currently without habitation licenses on rural land. This is often unhelpfully fudged by sellers/agents. Check carefully, if living on rural land is something you're looking at.

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@charw23)

Trusted Member

@thomasribatejo 

Thank you so much for the update. We are looking at a home, and there is a piece of raw land, just next to the home, but owned by someone else. 🙂 We are looking to find out if we purchased the land, on it's own, to expanding our current footprint, just for some nice green space. We wouldn't be looking to build on it, per se, just wondering about the process. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. 

Char

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@charw23 no worries!

In this instance, the best option could be using idealista.pt to check terreno prices in the locality, and seeing how long they've been on the market - not very scientific, but will give you an idea of what people think similar land is worth.  Try to find out whether it's urban or rural classified, as this will affect its value (even if you don't want to use it in a particular way).  If you can find out who owns it, it may be worth further enquiries (without sounding so keen that someone thinks they could cash in) - in any event, knowing what might happen with adjacent land is always worth finding out!  

Premium Member
(@jgibson)
Estimable Member

Are there professional real estate appraiser in Portugal? 

4 Replies
Premium Member
(@charw23)

Trusted Member

@jgibson 

I'm not quite sure. We have only been on the ground 2 weeks, and it is similar to being thrown into the deep end of the pool. We are finding things out as we go along. 

Most of our experience has been with agents on homes for sale, not land. 

• Hope your trip provided you with the info you were looking for. 👍
Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Estimable Member

@charw23 we had a great trip I’ve only been home a day and are plotting and planning our next trip wanting to push up our timeline now to relocate lol

definitely a learning curve but it’s seem rare anymore at home  that I can say I’ve done something for the first time my wife and I feel the adventure in Portugal will allow us to have lots of first times lol 

A great example that comes  to mind was my first experience parallel parking onto A sidewalk on the street that was so narrow we almost had to pull our mirrors in to squeeze through 😂

Our asking an old woman selling nuts in the town square in Nazare for the nearest bathroom while trying to look up the bathroom in Portuguese on my cell phone in the blinding Portugal afternoon sun 😂😂😂 I think she knew what I was asking for but I think she was getting a kick out of seeing me jump up and down trying to hold it like a little kid lol 

Premium Member
(@charw23)

Trusted Member

@jgibson 

That's the best!! So glad you both made it safely, scouted where you want to end up, and that your motivation has ramped up your glidepath. What a funny image!! 🤣 🤣 

We're central, but if you guys need anything, please feel free to reach out. You have my number. 😎 

All the best!

Char

Community Member
(@sonia)

@jgibson

yes there are , they are called «Perito avaliador de imóveis», or «Perito Avaliador Imobiliário», I don’t know any web page who lists this professionals but you can look online and you will find several, just check that they are registered in CMVM, and if you are thinking of using their services ask for an example of the «Relatório de Avaliação» so you can see how detailed it is.

Due to my work I’ve seen several «relatórios» and they vary greatly according, some are very basic.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online