Project Management – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Project Management

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Hiya,

We are having some work done on our house; we have an architect who will see the project through the Câmara, but we are having some problems with getting across the concept of project management - largely I suspect due to the language issues, but also may be because what we want may not be normal procedure here.

What we want is someone to oversee the builder: basically to represent us in agreeing on fixtures and finishings; in checking the work has been done correctly; agreeing that the next staged payment can be paid etc.

Is this something the architect would normally take on? What would be the correct term in Portuguese for this?

Any advice, experiences etc, would as ever be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

8 Replies

VIP Member
(@cojabound)
Estimable Member

Hi Steve,
I'm not sure an architect would project manage a build here, unlike in the uk say. Here a licenced engineer or bulder has to sign off on crutial build stages, architects are unlikely to have this licence. In our case the architect we're using works with an engineer and he is project managing the build. It can still be tricky not just language but cultural differences can make communications difficult. Maybe ask your architect for recomendations? Depending where you are, you might find an expat (if you can ask around) who has been through the process and can recommend someone. Good luck.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Thanks for the info.

Our architect (who I'm pretty sure uses Google Translate for his emails to us) has indicated that the person we need is a "building inspector" - this then reverse translates into "inspetor de construção". This, I guess, is the licenced person you mentioned.

Thanks,

Steve

VIP Member
(@peterfc)
Famed Member

Hi Steve

Not sure if you know there are a few translators even from Google. The Camara and Financas where I live always use Google Tradatur, hope that helps some members who read this post.

Peter

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@terrell)

Trusted Member

@peterfc, thanks for this!

VIP Member
(@arq-marcocarrico)
Estimable Member

SteveJ wrote:
> What we want is someone to oversee the builder: basically to represent us
> in agreeing on fixtures and finishings; in checking the work has been done
> correctly; agreeing that the next staged payment can be paid etc.
> Steve

Yes, usually the architect is also in charge of that work, we call it "Direcção Tecnica da Obra" and is the person who signs the "Livro de Obra".

Regards.

2 Replies
Community Member
(@casamaria)

@arq-marcocarrico Hi, old post I know, but having already bought a house near Alvorge, but still living in the UK until we can retire over there for good. We are hoping to have the much needed renovation work done to the property so that it can become our holiday home in the meantime.

Although I would try to get over as often as possible while the works were being carried out, due to my own work demands, it would not be possible for me to oversee a project myself, and to be frank, I don't believe that I have the know-how

A "Direcção Tecnica da Obra" sounds like somebody that I need to talk to. Do you have any idea of the cost of engaging one?

Thank you in advance.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@casamaria The role mentioned (it's a role not a person is legally prescribed in the case of formal projects; and advisable but less strictly regulated in the context of works not requiring a formal project.

In either instance, the costing is generally not easy to give "cold" as it's likely to depend on:

-location (which you've given, of course) and therefore potential travel costs;

-type of house, its construction, current condition and extent of renovation - and hence level of intervention, which in turn affects frequency of visits and time on site;

-formality of project;

-quality of contractors (and, frankly, the extent to which they need checking up on!)

This is not to put you off, but to point out that there's unlikely to be a standard quote off the peg - it'll be based on an hourly or day rate, for the projected amount of time.

Our business, Reabilitejo, offers these services, specifically focused on restoration of older buildings. - If you're interested, we'd be happy to have a no-obligation chat. You can find us in the business directory here on ExpatsPortugal, or directly at Reabilitejo

Whether or not you choose to contact us, best wishes with your project and future move!

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online