Posted Rental Rate vs Agreed Rental Rate – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Posted Rental Rate vs Agreed Rental Rate  

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@gwritejill)

What would say the typical negotiation is for renting a house? 

I've heard it's upwards of 20% less than posted price. The owner posts a higher price, expecting there to be negotation. Is that correct?

5 Replies

Community Member
(@jeandub)

I'm wondering if that's right now, did you find out?

Premium Member
(@peggyl)
Reputable Member

The Portuguese LOVE to negotiate. And it doesn't hurt to ask. The worst they can do is say "no" but usually they come back with a lower number, you can choose to take the new number or challenge again with a new number of your own. Welcome to Portugal.

@peggyL

Premium Member
(@davidiryna)

Thank you Peggy, 

Helps to plan, we hear even 25% is possible if you pay cash.

Community Member
(@jeanne)

I would guess that if you pay cash,  then you do also not get a proper rental contract.  The cash would enable the landlord to 'forget' to declare the rent for tax purposes, so he'd not likely want to give you anything in writing. 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@davidiryna)

@jeanne not necessarily. Listed prices doesn't equal agreed price. Paperwork is still there.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you renew your membership.

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online