Where to look for long term rental propeties? – Property & Real Estate – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Where to look for long term rental propeties?

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@mylene)

Hello!

I'm in the process to gather all requirements for the D7 and I'd like to get some suggestions to start looking for long term rental properties, like websites, real state agents?

Thank you so much in advance!

Mylene 🙂

Topic Tags
21 Replies

Premium Member
(@antifiat)
Trusted Member

Hi Mylene,

I think most people will suggest that you look on idealista.pt 

7 Replies
Premium Member
(@mylene)

@antifiat Thank you so much! I'll check it out 🙂

Premium Member
(@antifiat)

Trusted Member

@mylene Will you be using any professional immigration service such as Ei! Migrante?  They have solutions for rentals/documents to meet the D7 requirements.

Premium Member
(@mylene)

@antifiat Yes! I sent them a message today so I'm waiting on their response. I'll make sure to ask them about rental solutions as well. Thank you so much 🙂

JAR
Community Member
(@jar)

Trusted Member

@mylene Hi Mylene--a happy Ei Migrante client here. We could not have pulled together all of the necessary docs, gotten our Consulate appts as quickly as they were able to secure them for us, etc.....without their assistance. They know this stuff! Many people do this on their own, but w/both of us working P/T, selling our house of 23 years, it ended up being the best use of our $$$ to get their assistance. They are very, very good at what they do.

Don't forget to look at spotahome. We have a 1 year lease on a fully furnished apt (until our things show up in a few weeks from the SF bay area) in our 1st choice neighborhood (Campo de Ourique). Includes all utilities, cable/wifi. We also got very good help from spotahome to make us compliant from a required doc perspective for our SEF appts.

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Reputable Member

@jar   Hi. That's something I've been wondering about : how are you timing starting with a furnished rental, but then as you are shipping household goods, you need to have an unfinished place lined up by the time your shipment arrives to be able to unload the shipment.

JAR
Community Member
(@jar)

Trusted Member

@jeanne Well, it works like this Jeanne: we are only having 1/3 of a container coming over. We like our place so much that we might stay another year if it is available in July and use the pieces that are coming (mainly some tables, chairs, personal things)--or dispose/donate them per Customs timetable of doing so (legally). We made the move to PT to have more fun in an amazing culture, make our lives much more adventurous and living w/a lot less stuff. If/when we move to an unfurnished home, we will not be recreating what we had for 23 years in our house in CA. Really trying to be more nomadic vs. living in a "home".

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@antifiat I second that.  I like idealista as a tool to at least get a feel for what's out there.  You can even use the map to get a feel for the neighborhood too, if you use the google maps street view feature.  You can actually take a walk around the neighborhood.  It's cool.

Gav
Premium Member
(@gav)
Eminent Member
1 Reply
Premium Member
(@mylene)

@gav Thanks!

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)
Estimable Member

Also, consider Ei! and Savvy Cat which you can access from the business directory.  They can help you locate suitable properties to rent.

6 Replies
Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Reputable Member

@hank_2021 I've read lots of recommendations for EI, but no reports from anyone who's worked with savvy cat.  Does anyone have experience they would like to share RE savvy cat?

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@jeanne I'm with you, but I do like what they are doing.  They try to help you find properties responsibly so it's a win/win.  You get a lower price and you also don't help to price out Portuguese from their own housing market.

We may very well reach out to them at some point, but I do really like a single point of contact (Ei!) who can help you find a rental property as well.

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

Just to add, it seems to me expats have a responsibility as guests to not push the locals out of their own housing market.  Savvy cat negotiates for you what a Portuguese person would pay in that market.  In that way, you get a fair price and you don't inflate and price out Portuguese from their market.  It truly is a win/win.

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Reputable Member

@hank_2021   I know that that's how Savvy Cat markets its services, but I'm still wondering if/how that works out in practice as I have not seen any reviews or testimonials for SC here in the forum.

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@jeanne Fair enough! I haven't used them myself, but I'm a big fan of the idea.

They did a webinar with Carl awhile back that is on the Expats Portugal YouTube channel.  You can check that out, and also their website which is listed in the directory.

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

I stand corrected!  I didn't realize it, but Savvy Cat isn't part of the directory or endorsed anymore because of negative member experiences. See Gerry's note in this thread.

Please disregard everything I said in the above comments!  My information was out of date.

Community Member
(@tam1971)

Bon dia I have a 6 bed self contained apartment in the tomor area if you need 

Page 1 / 2

• Serenity Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to exclusive content with our ‘exclusive 12 module online migration course’
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online