Banking - Cash Withdrawals Query – Red Tape / Business – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Banking - Cash Withdrawals Query

Page 1 / 3

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@robin-greenwood)
Honorable Member

Hello

Not sure if this is in the right place . . .

But, I have noticed that when I withdraw cash I get a receipt that gives the following amounts

Saldo Contabilistico
Saldo Disponivel
Saldo Autorizado

Each with a small amount alongside.

I interpret this to mean that there is only a set amoung available and authrorized for me to withdraw . . . but this amount is a fraction of my actual account balance. Why is this? If I want to buy a high value item - say a fridge or something - how can I do this with my debit card? Or if I want to withdraw 500 euros cash for a spending spree (not that I do but just in case) . . . how can I access my own money?

I'm a bit confused, and if anyone could shed some light that would be helpful. It would be a nuisance to have to go to the bank itself to withdraw money. (Is it just a way of controlling the cash economy?)

Thanks for your help.

11 Replies

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

Have you done an on-screen balance enquiry and does it say the same thing? I think I remember getting something on paper once that looked odd because it wasn't laid out properly on the slip.

VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)
Illustrious Member

a total guess.........

but just maybe the figures shown are the amounts available to you IN CASH

as far as I aware we all have a 'daily max' cash withdrawal limit

see if the figs tie up with that idea

VIP Member
(@chas-linda)
Illustrious Member

If it's a PT multibanco card you just use that to pay in the shop, with your PIN number, the only limit is your a/c balance.

PT multibanco withdrawals depends a bit on bank, but generally you can only withdraw €200 at a time, depending on bank you can then make further withdrawals up to your daily limit.

It is cheaper to use Multibanco to withdraw cash, and do most things, have a look at your bank charges or if your bank doesn't have a English version look at

http://www.bcp.pt/site/conteudos/en/

Bottom of page > Client support > Price List

They are all fairly similar

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@robin-greenwood)
Honorable Member

Thanks very much for that . . .

My online account details are correct, regarding the account balance. I am confused by the paper receipt, which when I do a withdrawal always refers to a lower figure . . . a couple of hundred euros or so, and not even whole numbers, - at the moment 284.21 . . . which bears no relation to anything.

I'll check the weblink as well.

Thanks for all your help.

Page 1 / 3

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online