Best arrangement for working in PT for outside PT company? – Red Tape / Business – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Best arrangement for working in PT for outside PT company?

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@healthy_move_portugal)
Eminent Member

Hello,

I have a meeting with my COO and HR mnager scheduled on friday 27th septeber (next weeks friday).

What would be the best arrangement for me still working for my dutch employer from Portugal?

- Freelance?
- self-employed and then hired by company?
- keeping my current working contract but change adres to portugal (what happens then to the social incurances like unemployment, healthcare and so on?)

Any advice would be apprechiated.

I expect that i will be asked how i want to continue the relationship once i have moved to portugal.

cheers and thanks

Matthias 🙂

12 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

This is a complex area, and an accountant in Portugal should be consulted, based on all of your specific circumstances.  However, points to bear in mind:

• If you bill as a freelancer/self-employed, you may be obliged to add VAT, and this may or may not be acceptable to your current employer;
  • Keeping your current contract can create complexities regarding Segurança Social, and this can be a minefield (and may be much more expensive than in NL).  If your employer has no office/agent in PT, you become that agent de facto, and may be liable to pay employer and employee contributions to SS, which is a lot of money;
  • Again in the third hypothesis, epending on the NL SS approach, they may be unwilling to take you out of their system, if they consider your work to be "in the Netherlands" even if you are not there.  For this, you (or your company's finance people) will need to speak to them.  If they are at all like the UK, they may expect evidence that you are paying in PT before they'll stop you paying in NL.

I have spent nearly 3 years ironing this out for myself, with an accountant.  If your company accepts you setting yourself up as a Unipessoal or Empresa, and billing them incl VAT if applicable, my experience suggests that would be the least complex from a bureaucratic perspective.

A good accountant with relevant experience with foreigners working in Portugal for companies abroad should be able to help, but explore this in depth with them, to be sure that they really understand your situation.  Your third hypothesis remains "unusual" and therefore is not well-covered by regulation and experience, even though there are actually quite a lot of us doing it, and wanting to follow the rules.

The income tax side of things, in this case, is so much easier!

Good luck with it!

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Estimable Member

@thomasribatejo
Do you really need to charge VAT to a business outside Portugal? I thought you can exempt the VAT for foreign business to business transaction. I've actually done that a few times when UK was still in the EU.

What I did to hire workers in Portugal through my UK company was to have them as freelancers. No VAT, and they registered for recibos verdes (=self employed), and pay their own taxes and their own social security (which are high, like in NL).

@healthy_move_portugal
I talked with an accountant a few weeks ago, and you may have another option:
Set up a Portuguese company, and under the NHR **if** your profession is one of the approved ones, pay only 20% tax on the dividends of that company (no corporation tax for small companies that you own over 75%, which sounds too good to be true, I will ask my accountant again.). Then you could buy a car on the company, and save the VAT and tax on it if it's electric or PHEV.

Or if not under NHR, set up a Dutch company, and have your employer pay the company, and you get paid with dividends in Portugal with 0% Portuguese tax, under NHR again.

You need some serious talks with more than 1 expert accountant.

My accountant which I just started with is All Finance Matters in Tavira. Convenient if you're in the Algarve.

5 Replies
(@thomasribatejo)

@itexpert7 In my circumstances, both my main accountant (and the one I use to sense-check stuff) advised that it was not possible to avoid levying IVA, were I to provide services to my employer on a freelance/contract basis, whether "as myself" or through a company.  The circumstances for @healthy_move_portugal may be different, so as we've both said, in-depth, experienced accountancy advice is going to be essential.

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@thomasribatejo |
In which country is your employer located?

(@thomasribatejo)

@itexpert7 in the UK

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@thomasribatejo 
I have repeatedly many times used Portuguese companies (advisors and EI imigrante) to invoice my UK company, and paid them *without* IVA.
That was before and after Brexit.
As in business to business export/import there's no VAT.
They checked with their accountants every time and said they will not charge IVA. (As a UK company has no chance of getting a refund on foreign VAT).

(@thomasribatejo)

@itexpert7 This may be entirely appropriate in your circumstances, but whilst there is some similarity, they are not the same as mine.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@healthy_move_portugal)
Eminent Member

thank you for all the replies and information 🙂

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@healthy_move_portugal)
Eminent Member

Where can i find such an accountant? (AFM from business directory?)
I will be in PT 4th of september for 2 weeks and want to try and get an appointment in that time if possdible.

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online