Best arrangement for working in PT for outside PT company? - Page 2 – Red Tape / Business – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Best arrangement for working in PT for outside PT company?

Page 2 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@healthy_move_portugal)
Eminent Member

Hello,

I have a meeting with my COO and HR mnager scheduled on friday 27th septeber (next weeks friday).

What would be the best arrangement for me still working for my dutch employer from Portugal?

- Freelance?
- self-employed and then hired by company?
- keeping my current working contract but change adres to portugal (what happens then to the social incurances like unemployment, healthcare and so on?)

Any advice would be apprechiated.

I expect that i will be asked how i want to continue the relationship once i have moved to portugal.

cheers and thanks

Matthias 🙂

14 Replies

Premium Member
(@iainp)

I'm in similar situation, UK Company but working from Portugal. Options they gave me were to remain on UK contract and paid through a 3rd party in Portugal (PT tax makes me significantly worse off) or go contract and sort out everything i need to in Portugal. Have contacted a couple of accountants and waiting for replies. So far had mixed response to NHR and sole trader approach.

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@iainp 
Perhaps you could also set up a small UK company and get paid in the UK, and get dividends tax free into Portugal under NHR. (Like all these TV presenters and NHS consultants do in the UK, get paid through a Limited company).
I use my UK company.
Just another more tax efficient option, although it has its complications.

Premium Member
(@iainp)

@itexpert7 Thanks will look into it

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@healthy_move_portugal)
Eminent Member

quick update on the subject...i just sent my letter of resignation to my company ending my contract on 31st of December this year.

I don't want to work in January, reserving the month for moving to PT and setting up camp.

Still two options remaining for me to work for Dutch company in PT:

a) new contract / employment with address in PT and all taxes and social securities payed in PT (my preferred choice, as i don't have to sort out anything) or

b) setting up my own company and bill the Dutch company for every worked hour (preferred model by Dutch company, but I need to setup corp and decide how much my hourly rate needs to be to have same salary as now).

Have had contact wiht AFM and am waiting for them to make an appointment for a video meeting to discuss details and make a decision.

Ill keep you posted/updated

Matthias

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@healthy_move_portugal 

The choice should be easier, if you do some calculations on how much money will end up in your pocket. So if you earn 4000 euro a month, and in option A (taxes and huge social paid in PT), you have 2000 take home (just a figure on top of my head), and option B (Portuguese company, pay fixed 20% tax under NHR, according to AFM plus minimum wage from the company to you) you take 3000 home (and can declare expenses also to reduce taxes, even buy a company car), the difference can be so immense that it makes your choice easier.

Page 2 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online