British National Insurance and Brexit – Red Tape / Business – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

British National Insurance and Brexit

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@thr238)
Eminent Member

Hello

I’d like to find out what happens to National Insurance once you’ve moved to Portugal as a resident and Brexit happens. Does it get transferred over (if so, how?) or does it just stay where it is and we just claim it at retirement age? I’ve not been able to find any information on this.

Thanks for any ideas, advice.

Tom

4 Replies

VIP Member
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member

I am not certain, but I would guess that it would await your retirement and then become available. I don´t believe it can be transferred here.

Premium Member
(@bulkbiker)

Guessing you are talking about state pension from the UK?

VIP Member
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member

Yes.

Premium Member
(@bulkbiker)

Theres nothing to "transfer" as such.

Once you are eligible for UK state pension (assuming you have enough contributions made) then you need to contact the UK pensions service to arrange payment.

www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad

is a good place to start.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online