Electronic Green Receipts, Social Security, VAT... – Red Tape / Business – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Electronic Green Receipts, Social Security, VAT...

Page 1 / 3

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@jenny-g)
Estimable Member

I've just read about a couple of changes that will/may be taking place and would like to know more. I'm currently investigating it (i.e. Google and asking Portuguese friends) but if anyone has already heard about this and can inform me and others who will need to know about it too, I'd be eternally grateful.

The first one is that they're introducing electronic green receipts. If anyone knows more about this and can tell us self-employed how that works, it would be great. I've just run out of paper ones and hear they just came into force, with them becoming obligatory for some from January 2011.

Secondly, there has been some discussion on a translators' forum I visit about them changing the Social Security payments to 29.6% of your previous year's income (70% base as with taxes). I'm not sure if this is definitely happening or not. Does anyone know anything about this? I really hope that it isn't true, or I'm going to be broke.

That is all of course after the VAT going up to 23%...

Will someone please remind me why I'm trying to earn my living here again?

10 Replies

VIP Member
(@loule)
Reputable Member

I am also on green receipts and since 1st December this is on for all freelancers, until 31st December it’s like a trial period to get used to it. There are some with exceptions until June 2011 but these will also have to use the online platform after that time.

Basically what the Gov wants is you filling in the green receipts online, 1 copy for you , 1 copy for the billed. Whether they´ll keep a copy I don´t know but for sure you´ll automatically be in the system for the due direct taxes, IRS and as well as the SSN contributions.
With the years I really got used to fill in the receipts myself, but looks now you have to be really IT literate, domain the lingo and be an expert of tax laws references.
I opted for organized accountants on the inscription of the activity and I prefer to pay my accountant to do now these receipts for me.

I strongly recommend you check your status in “Finanças” because with your login all the personal and activity info will be assumed as inscript like VAT rates, retention rates etc.
I was told by my accountant that if there is any misuse or differences whom and how much you invoice, Finanças is per law authorized to cross check and also look at your bank accounts.
There are many previous threads in this forum about green receipts, mainly about when you issue the receipt, before you will receive the monies or received it already. With this new system there are no doubts about, you should only issue once you received otherwise you could be in serious trouble.

L

VIP Member
(@auntyems)
Estimable Member

Interesting. Jenny, where did you read about this?

VIP Member
(@tivinho)
Noble Member

I registered online with Financas today, preparing to do Green Receipts online from Jan.

What made me laugh is that I had to register and then wait for a Senha to be sent to my home address. So I can't log in until I get that.

Then I received an email asking me to verify my email address, by inputting a code they emailed to me. In order to input that code I have to log in to the site - using a Senha I don't yet have.

A classic case of Mr Arse in the IT department not knowing Mr Elbow in Customer Services.
:D

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@jenny-g)
Estimable Member

I read about it on the translation forum I mentioned, and saw some news item online about the receipts, but not sure about anything else yet...

Edit: I logged in on the Finanças website and got this:

Início > Os Seus Serviços > Obter > Recibos Verdes Electrónicos

"INSTRUÇÕES
O Sistema de Emissão de Recibos Electrónicos disponibilizado no Portal das Finanças, é um sistema gratuito, simples e seguro, que serve para emitir recibos electrónicos, bem como para a sua disponibilização aos adquirentes.
O sistema tem por objectivo simplificar e diminuir o custo de cumprimento das obrigações fiscais pelos contribuintes, bem como maximizar as vantagens da utilização das tecnologias da informação.
O recibo verde electrónico, a que se refere a alínea a) do n.o 1 do artigo 115.o do Código do IRS (CIRS), destina-se a ser emitido pelos titulares de rendimentos da categoria B do IRS, pelas importâncias recebidas dos seus clientes, referentes às prestações de serviços referidas na alínea b) do n.o 1 do artigo 3.o do CIRS, ainda que a título de provisão, adiantamento ou reembolso de despesas, bem como, dos rendimentos indicados na alínea c) do n.o 1 do mesmo artigo.
Os titulares de rendimentos provenientes da prática de acto isolado, podem utilizar o presente modelo.
O preenchimento e a emissão dos recibos verdes electrónicos são efectuados obrigatória ou facultativamente no Portal das Finanças, nos termos da presente Portaria.
No caso de prestações de serviços de saúde, o adquirente dos serviços deve ser referenciado pelo número e respectivo subsistema de saúde.
Deve ser assinalado o regime de IVA aplicável ao serviço e a taxa aplicada, bem como, a taxa de retenção na fonte de IRS, e a dispensa ou sujeição parcial a retenção, caso aplicável.
Caso o recibo verde electrónico seja utilizado como documento de quitação de recebimentos relativamente aos quais tenha sido emitida factura, esta deve ser mencionada no recibo, com o respectivo número e data de emissão, utilizando-se para o efeito o campo da descrição.
A utilização dos recibos verdes electrónicos não determina a qualificação do serviço prestado como trabalho independente."

Page 1 / 3

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online