Fundraising- How is it taxed? – Red Tape / Business – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Fundraising- How is...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Booking.com

Fundraising- How is it taxed?  

RSS

(@shll1)
New Member Community Member
17/06/2020 2:30 pm  

Ola.. Tudo bem??  Hope everyone is well and safe. I used the forum a lot and am so grateful before we moved here but now we have been here for 3 years. Life is good despite a lot of adversity..

Does anyone know how money you raise via say a Kickstarter or Indigogo campaign is taxed? I asked my local accountant and he had no idea and after months still has no answer for me.  

Muito obrigado.

richard

(@goodmorningportugal)
Eminent Member Premium Member
17/06/2020 3:24 pm  

I don't know the answer, but it's a great question and perhaps a little unprecedented in Portuguese accountancy circles. Do you have a business incubator near you? They are in my experience a little more progressive (and helpful). 

ReplyQuote
(@shepherdess)
Reputable Member VIP Member
21/06/2020 1:53 pm  
Posted by: @shll1

Ola.. Tudo bem??  Hope everyone is well and safe. I used the forum a lot and am so grateful before we moved here but now we have been here for 3 years. Life is good despite a lot of adversity..

Does anyone know how money you raise via say a Kickstarter or Indigogo campaign is taxed? I asked my local accountant and he had no idea and after months still has no answer for me.  

Muito obrigado.

richard

Ola!

Not sure if this helps, but I work for a crowdfunding platform and the advice we give our fundraisers is as follows:

Donations are considered gifts in most countries. Depending on where you are based and what local tax rules apply, in all cases you are likely to be required to declare it as income. However local rules will determine whether the value of those donations (gifts) are taxable or not (this could also depend on whether your local tax office views the donations as individual gifts per donation, or the combined total of all donations as a single gift).

Perhaps if you ask what the tax rules are in relation to gifts, they may be able to work with that.

I hope this helps!

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by shepherdess

ReplyQuote
(@shll1)
New Member Community Member
22/06/2020 8:46 am  

My local accountant is trying to find out for me but I have no info yet.. I thought someone might know..

ReplyQuote

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Join any Group within our Online Community
    • Get social on Zoom meet-ups and webinars
    • Include your local events in our events calendar
    • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
    • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €20 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online