How do I get a Residency card? – Red Tape / Business – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

spartan Fx

How do I get a Residency card?

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@spownall)
Illustrious Member

I understand that as an expat I need to get a residency card after living in Portugal for 6 months. Anyone know what I need to do?

9 Replies

VIP Member
(@testperson)
Prominent Member

Go to the Ministerio do estrangeiros in Coimbra. It is located near the praca da republica, at the top end. Email me if you need any further help.

VIP Member
(@freebird)
Estimable Member

... I paid 25 quid for a couple of booklets from the Portuguese Chamber of Commerce in London which contains all this information and more, I found it a bit technical but very useful. They have a website, just Google it and it will come up. kind regards Lynda

Ncw
Premium Member
(@ncw)
Eminent Member

Does anyone have a list of the documents required for my SEF meeting, i.e. meeting to get my Residency card?  Thank you!

4 Replies
Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@ncw

(1) passport with VISA that the Embassy glued inside of it, (2) proof of health insurance  (3) proof of financial stability, that you can support yourself. such s bank account. If spouses are both using the same account, both names must be on the account. (4) FBI background check translated Into Portuguese by Embassy.(5) Atestado of residency that you get at the JUNTA of your municipality.  When you go to the Junta you will have to fill out a paper and prove your address. And you need 2 Portuguese people to vouch for you that you actually live there. 

@peggyL

Community Member
(@omena)

Eminent Member

@peggyl

Do I understand correctly that after your registration at the City Hall and your application for the Residence card at SEF online, you would also need a meeting with the SEF?

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

@omena

The "City Hall" registration is for EU citizens only, cutting out the need for any dealing with the SEF for the first 5 years of residence.

Everybody else wishing to reside, including UK citizens as of 1st Jan, must first apply for an initial visa from a PT Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence and then, after arrival, report to the SEF within the specified period to complete the formalities.

If reading the first part of this thread, bear in mind that it was started nearly 16 years ago. Things have changed since then.

Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@omena

recent changes were made in the process of application for residency including the govt. agency that you need to send application to. I am investigating and will get back in tough within 24 hours.

@peggy

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Initial residency card as a non EU citizen?
Permanent residency card for non EU citizen?
EU citizen with expiring CRUE?
EU citizen with expiring 10 year residency card?
Brit exchanging to the new protected rights card?

So many variables, but the answer will be found on the SEF website.

https://www.sef.pt/en/Pages/homepage.aspx

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online