IRS; NHR and Pensions; e-Faturas and deductions – Red Tape / Business – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

IRS; NHR and Pensions; e-Faturas and deductions

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Hi - a quick IRS question (or two).

I am registered with the NHR scheme (since 2018) - I know the PT Government have changed things a bit with regard to pensions income. Am I correct in understanding that overseas pensions income (not the UK state pension, and not a "UK government pension") are now taxed at 10%, for all NHR people, or should those registered for NHR before the change still have pension income zero rated?

And secondly, regarding the e-faturas and deductions. For 2020 I have more than enough faturas registered to get the "General" 250€ deduction, and enough in other sections to qualify for some deductions. But, the "Liquidação" statement shows that no deductions have been made. Do these deductions apply only to IRS tax from certain types of income?

Thanks, Steve

17 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

The new 10% NHR rate for pensions only applies to those getting NHR after it was introduced (Jan 2021?). People like yourself already on NHR stay on their zero rate for pensions.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Oh, in that case I must have messed up my IRS return. I have a tax bill that represents 10% of my (pension income minus the 4104€ threshold). Looks like a visit to Finanças is needed.

Thanks, Steve

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

As for your receipts for deductions, there is a step you have to do before submitting your IRS declaration to "accept" the receipts, maybe you missed this out?

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

The deductions via e-fatura only apply in the general tax regime. If you're a beneficiary of NHR, you lose the right to those.

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online