permanent residency card (for ID) – Red Tape / Business – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Ei! Migration Banner

permanent residency card (for ID)  

ian
VIP Member
(@ian)
Estimable Member

If you have one do you still need to carry a passport?

Opinion and experience seems divided, so a bit of a straw poll

If you hold one and have been stopped by GNR orPSP was the card sufficient for them or did they want to see a passport too?

Thanks.

3 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

When Mrs OB & I got ours we asked SEF if we still needed to carry our passports and were told we didn't have to any more provided we were carrying the card.

VIP Member
(@janatquintanet)
Estimable Member

A Portuguese issued 'residencia permanente' card, carries more weight with GNR transport brigade than a uk passport in my experience.
Unless you are illegally driving a uk registered vehicle that is !

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

Since I got mine, I've used it for everything a passport would normally be required for. Have produced it on numerous occasions, including for GNR traffic stops, never any problem at all.

It isn't recognised outside the country though - so eg if you ever hop across the border into Spain, however briefly, a passport is required.

Blevins Franks

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €250+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online