Selling items on eBay and tax – Red Tape / Business – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Wow Wines Banner

Selling items on eBay and tax

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@flora2020)

A retired person has asked me to sell some of his collector item motor bike parts on eBay. 

I'm told that these parts are in demand in the USA. 

Where do I find information about tax and custom charges for shipping these items to the USA? 

One item is valued at $350, because it's supposed to be a collector's item. 

I am doing this as a favor and don't want to be be presented a bill by the Portuguese customs or tax office after selling these items. 

Thank you for any and all tips, tricks and advise! 

1 Reply

Admin
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Hi @flora2020

If you are shipping from Portugal to USA, the taxes and duties will be payable in USA and not in Portugal. Therefore, this would need to be checked with a Customs Broker in USA. An obvious solution is to sell the items with buyer responsible for collection. That way, you open the market to anyone who wants to buy regardless of their location 😊 

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online