Tax return, mysterious NIF – Red Tape / Business – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Tax return, mysteri...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Tax return, mysterious NIF

11 Posts
5 Users
14 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@itexpert7)

Hello, I got my first Portuguese tax return, it has a mysterious NIF on it that isn't mine, and below (blurred on the attached image) is my NIF.
Anybody knows what Consignacao is?
Also there must be a way to pay my hefty 5 digit tax bill online, is there a way on the AT portal to get what the tax bill is, and the payment details?

Topic Tags
10 Replies
9 Replies
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Posted by: @itexpert7

Anybody knows what Consignacao is?

Yes - it's the option to donate either 0.5% of your IRS due, or the "15% of any IVA" portion of deductions against tax credited to you (or both), to a social, environmental or cultural association or entity.

It's entirely voluntary, there's a field on the tax return for it where you enter the NIF of the entity of your own choosing and in the case of the IRS option doesn't cost you anything - it's just tax that would otherwise have gone to the state being routed to your institution. The "IVA" option reduces your deductions in favour of your institution.

Also there must be a way to pay my hefty 5 digit tax bill online, is there a way on the AT portal to get what the tax bill is, and the payment details?

The way I do it is via online banking, using the option for payments to the state and the payment reference on the demand.

There isn't a way to initiate payment through the portal as far as I know.

Community Member
(@itexpert7)

@x-camone 

Thank you!
But how do I see on the AT where to pay? I only have a pdf by email. Emails are not secure and can be altered.

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@itexpert7 who has the original?  An original should come by post, to you or your fiscal representative.  It's also possible that this is the simulation, with the bill to follow (I have had that once in the past, I am not sure why).

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

@thomasribatejo The wording at the top left of the document should indicate if it's an actual bill or not - if it is, it'll say "Demonstração de Liquidação de IRS" and give the payment ref at the bottom left. I've never received a simulation by post but presume it would be clearly identifiable as a simulation and not a demand for payment.

Posted by: @itexpert7

@x-camone 

Thank you!
But how do I see on the AT where to pay? I only have a pdf by email. Emails are not secure and can be altered.

You should be able to see up to 5 years' worth of the calculations of your tax bill by :  start a session, type "IRS" in the search bar, choose the top item on the returned results (de entrega e consulta de declaração ...) and then, from the menu on the left, select "consultar declaração". Choose the year, hit the "ver detalhe" button, and for the full breakdown, click on the "número de liquidação" link.

It looks different to the actual document you get through the post but all the detail is on there.

Community Member
(@itexpert7)

@x-camone 
Thank you, I indeed found this before, but it just has a pdf with the tax to pay, without where to pay it (reference etc), and no real calculation (it doesn't even state the income, just the tax), or that I pay half tax for 1st year "recibos verdes" etc.
No argument on the tax to pay, it's mostly as expected.
Do you know if there is somewhere on this site to state how/where to pay it? A "pay" button ideal, or at least the payment references?

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

@itexpert7 Hi again. What you describe sounds like the summary you get when you hit "ver detalhe". Within that screen, there is a hyperlink immediately under the heading "número de liquidação", which should give you a heap more info.

I've just realised though that it doesn't get you the all-important payment reference. I think you can get this by : start session / a minha area / pagamentos / pagamentos a decorrer. 

As I haven't got anything outstanding at the moment, I can't tell what you'll get from there on but it looks right for getting what you want (and possibly having options for payment).

Community Member
(@itexpert7)

@x-camone 

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

That's exactly what I should have found myself 😀
I'm in pain and drugs, had an operation.
It even has a pay button, but it leads to "Para pagar com MB WAY, indique o nº de telemóvel:"

I assume that is something special to do with a Portuguese mobile. I will just use the bank transfer "pay government tax" on the Millennium bank online.
Thank you again.

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

@itexpert7 A pleasure.

Sorry to have led you round the block a couple of times before getting there, despite the clarity of your original request. The portal isn't always the easiest to navigate.

Hope you're back in full working order soon.

Premium Member
(@blaze451)

@itexpert7 if your with Millennium you can download their app on your phone and use MB WAY to make payments. ( I assume other Portuguese banks have similar) Your bank account does need to have a Portuguese phone number linked to it for it to work though. Very handy way to pay for many things.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

That doesn't look anything like the IRS bills I've received in the past, but that's not to say they may have changed the format this year as I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

An internet search shows the unknown NIF number apparently belongs to this company.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year

Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal