That could cause some angst. – Red Tape / Business – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

That could cause some angst.

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
14 Replies

ACK
Community Member
(@ack)
Eminent Member

I'm sure plenty of business models will be upended by that ruling - particularly in touristy areas.  

I have to say I understand where the plaintiffs in this case were coming from and support the judgement.  Twice in my life, I have lived in Condos that got taken over by the Airbnb crowd doing short term rentals.  As a normal, long term resident, it can be a rough experience. 

Premium Member
(@ericj)
Estimable Member

Does anyone have any insight/opinion as to how this may affect AirBnB rentals in the near future?

Thanks in advance...

EricJ

3 Replies
Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

Estimable Member

@ericj I believe it is too early to tell, as insufficient detailed information has yet been published and analysed.

If the reports are accurate, an immediate brake is likely on new AL (~AirBnB type arrangements) in apartment and other multiple occupancy properties (those in propriedade horizontal) but existing ones are not automatically invalidated, it'll depend on the condominium (joint ownership) taking action to have them terminated. The likelihood of this happening will vary, perhaps most rationally higher in properties with a minority of AL use. 

In the short-medium term, it could affect the availability of AL, notably in urban areas where it is primarily in multiple occupancy settings. However, other categories of licensed tourist accommodation exist, and not all buildings will challenge their AL operators.

As someone with an interest in a condominium where AL is common, our initial, amateur assessment is a short term impact on property values, with a return to performance when the building becomes more tranquil. Owners will still be able to rent their apartments on a formal, contractual basis for periods in excess of a month - just not as short term tourist-type lets.

As mentioned earlier, these are initial assessments based on the limited information so far available, and consequent limited discussion, so should not be relied upon as a basis for any choices etc.

Premium Member
(@ericj)

Estimable Member

@thomasribatejo Thanks Thomas!!

Iggy
Premium Member
(@iggy)

@thomasribatejo 

Don't think it is only Portugal.

I live in the Netherlands but Airbnb drives up the rental prices everywhere like in Amsterdam.

It affects the rental prices for locals to unaffordable, which is not good for any country.

So I agree with the ruling, makes sense but not popular even by me as a non resident yet :<)

Regards Iggy

Community Member
(@ismoore999)
Posted by: @thomasribatejo

Owners will still be able to rent their apartments on a formal, contractual basis for periods in excess of a month - just not as short term tourist-type lets.

Hi Thomas

Just curious - are you saying there is a difference between < 1 month and more than 1 month? Does the latter not need a AL licence? 

Thanks in advance

1 Reply
Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

Estimable Member

@ismoore999 in simple general terms, yes - alojamento local is a short stay service (with, effectively, the assumption of a transitory market); "traditional" contractual rentals are subject to different legislation, which is not affected by the recent ruling, as far as I can tell.

Community Member
(@sonia)
Estimable Member

In my view this ruling will have little effect in ALs in buildings, this will not automatically affect all ALs in apartment buildings, for it to affect the condominiums would have to take legal action against the AL owners, and most won’t go there because for that the majority of the owners must be in agreement to take action and it is expensive and time consuming. Some condominiums don’t even take action against the non payers of the condominium fees that are a relatively more simple and cheaper process so I don’t expect a rush of similar cases.

It may lead to a change in the laws that regulate AL but I also don’t expect that to happen anytime soon, any change in laws takes a lot of time, unless it is motivated by some scandal in the public opinion in which case it can be done quickly and usually the results are a mess, (see the SEF extinction) this is not one of those cases.

I find the ruling to be fair, If someone wants to have an AL place it should not be in a residential building, the licenses should never have been granted for ALs in residential buildings, but as always the lawmakers didn’t think of that.

Page 1 / 2

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online