UK Driving Licences - Update from Gov.UK dated 19 November 2021 – Red Tape / Business – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

UK Driving Licences - Update from Gov.UK dated 19 November 2021

Admin
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Change made:
Your UK driving licence will now be recognised until 31 December 2022, if you are resident in Portugal.

Link: Living in Portugal

12 Replies

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Estimable Member

Fantastic!
I asked to change mine 2 months ago, used the online form, attached all needed paperwork, heard nothing since. So I was worried with the deadline of 31st December 2021.
With this extension, I don't have to worry, let them take a year! 😀

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Methinks the UK Gov have been a bit premature in publishing this information.

On the 18th November the PT Council of Ministers approved the extension to 31st December 2022 BUT they have to present it to the PT Parliament for it to be voted on and a new law written before it comes into force. No such law has been published yet.

Hopefully it will all sail through easily enough but until the new law is published the current expiry date of 31st December 2021 still stands.

7 Replies
Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@old-bloke 
Thank you, please let us know, as you are so good with these things 🙂
Isn't the parliament dissolved until the elections?

Strange though, that they need a parliamentary vote and a law for a simple thing like that, just a regulation.
While in the summer for such scary dubious human rights never-done-before enforcing vaccine certificates and testing for hotels and restaurants, they just done it with the ministers without parliamentary approval (i.e. the prime minister decided and that was that).

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@itexpert7 

Yes there is an upcoming election which is going to delay normal PT parliamentary business, that's why I'm surprised at the UK Gov for publishing what they have before it becomes adopted into legislation.

Re the covid measures, they didn't have to go before parliament for approval as the President had declared, at various times, that the country was either in a "state of alarm", a "state of calamity" or a "state of emergency". Each of these 3 'states' allow for the suspension of different processes which is why ministers alone could make laws. The constitution allows this but only for 14 days at a time, hence why it had to keep being reviewed and renewed.

I have to admit I don't know if ministers alone can make laws whilst parliament is suspended, however if it does the new law would still have to be approved by the President and published in the Diário da República before it becomes valid.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@itexpert7 

The law extending the validity of UK licences to 31st December 2022 was published yesterday, it comes into force today (8th December).

https://dre.pt/dre/detalhe/decreto-lei/109-2021-175506672  

Community Member
(@nonick)

@old-bloke I spoke to a portuguese friend of mine and she said that simple laws such as this do not always need a parliamentry vote and therefore become law automatically so fingers crossed that it will be announced in the Diario da Republica sooner rather than later.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@nonick 

https://www.parlamento.pt/sites/EN/Parliament/Paginas/Competences.aspx

EDIT - I think you friend might be referring to the process to make Regulations rather than Laws.

Community Member
(@nonick)

@old-bloke I am keeping my fingers crosesed that she is right. If you look at the extension for 2021 it just says it was approved by the council of ministers and the president and all done and dusted in 4 days. I have attached the English translation of article 8 of the publication.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@nonick 

Keep them crossed. It's been 5 days since the Council of Ministers announced their approval of a further extension (it will be the third such extension).

https://www.portugal.gov.pt/pt/gc22/governo/comunicado-de-conselho-de-ministros?i=454&fbclid=IwAR0WbrW9JFCoZUxbe1EBqErpunMrcN_PWb2XLi5vXPLHyPKsHu3rYW8JEUs

Community Member
(@nonick)

weekend days don't count, only working days 🙂 

2 Replies
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member
Posted by: @nonick

weekend days don't count, only working days 🙂 

I counted them as you had done so when you mentioned 4 days in your post above with the screenshot. That law (25-B/2021) had the following timeline:
Thursday 25th March - approved by the Council of Ministers
Monday 29th March - promulgated by the President
Tuesday 30th March - published in the Diário da República.

The reason for my posting on this thread is to caution people that despite what the UK Gov have published regarding an extension to 31/12/22, no such extension currently exists under Portuguese law so they shouldn't hold off doing what they need to re exchanging their licence.

Community Member
(@nonick)

@old-bloke Yes that is good advice and anybody holding off waiting for this extension would be rather unwise.

The one in March was probably rushed through as there was no extension in place to cover 2021. I just looked at a recently published decree-law and it was approved by the council of ministers on the 28th October, enacted by the president on the 18th November and published today on the 24th November. That would be a more realistic timetable and 5 days would be a bit hopeful as the current extension is in place until the 31st December. My friend is correct and no need to pass through the "Assembleia" for a vote unless the President rejects it.

However knowing that this extension is in the pipeline will make people feel a bit more at ease as it takes 6 months to a year for people to get their Portuguese license. Hopefully I will get mine before next summer. 😬 

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online