Welcome to the Expats Portugal forum!

Since 2005, this forum has had over 6,000 people sign up and take part in our community.

It is a place for people who want to move to Portugal and for those already living here to meet and share knowledge through our community.

With the recent revamp of the site, we have chosen to keep the forum on the website rather than create a social media group as we know there are people concerned about privacy and who owns their data. Plus there is a wealth of information from the years gone by that we did not want to lose.

But this forum is nothing without your input. So come on in, take a look around, ask questions and answer a few.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please head over to the My Account section and reset your password today.

Blevin Franks Banner ad

citizen's card for ...

Notifications

citizen's card for foreigners  

RSS

jezza
(@jezza)
Trusted Member
02/01/2020 2:12 pm  

I have the pink residency card which is valid until 2024 - I've just read online about a citizen's card for foreign residents. I can't seem to find any concrete information on this - has it actually come into effect and do all my family members need to get one? Does it replace the resident card? If so, can we wait for our current cards to expire?

A slightly different question, my daughter was born here in Portugal and she is registered here. She has the residency card which expires soon, but last year she got the citizen's card (for Portuguese citizens). Am I correct in assuming she doesn't need to renew her residency card?

Thank you!

hartmill
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member
03/01/2020 4:06 pm  

I have seen reports that there will be a card similar to a Citizens card, made available to foreigners, instead of the (in my case brown) Residents card. I recently had to obtain a new passport, and as the old number is on my Residents card, I thought I would apply for a new one. Initially I had two problems, as you may be aware you have to book an appointment to renew at SEF. I tried without success to contact them by phone over a period of about a month. I also tried as the website suggests, to make a booking over the Internet. The site would not recognise the number on my card.
Eventually I got an answer on the phone. I was told that I would not get a new one until mine expires (2023). They were not interested in the passport number change. So no nice new card for me!
It is worth noting that the answer you get here depends entirely on the person you are talking to.
It might be worth having a go. Please let us know if you get a new one.

ReplyQuote
jezza
(@jezza)
Trusted Member
03/01/2020 5:02 pm  

Looking at the articles online about the new foreigners citizen card, they all date from mid 2018, when it was announced. There doesn't appear to be any more news on this topic, which suggests that it's been delayed. Not a surprise in Portugal!

ReplyQuote
alan
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member
03/01/2020 5:29 pm  

Can you please post a link to one or more of these announcements. A Portuguese version would probably be better.
The plastic version of the the residence card, which was described as having the same format as the citizens card, was announced around that time.
Thanks
Alan

ReplyQuote
SteveJ
(@stevej)
Noble Member
03/01/2020 6:34 pm  

Here's one from June 2018, saying the new card is part of the "Simplex 2018" program for simplifying bureaucracy:
https://eco.sapo.pt/2018/06/06/simplex2 ... migrantes/

And SEF posted in January 2019 saying the new card is being rolled out, for those with over 5 years residency:
https://www.sef.pt/pt/pages/noticia-sef.aspx?nID=633

While we're on the subject of officialdom etc., has anyone registered for the "Chave Móvel Digital" system. Access to the SNS Portal is now only available through this CMD service, but I've drawn a blank in registering online for one - it looks like foreigners can only get one through an Espaço Cididão or an IRN office, which generally means a long wait. If anyone has managed to do it online I love to hear how.

Ta,

Steve

ReplyQuote
RichardHenshall
(@richardhenshall)
Noble Member
03/01/2020 9:18 pm  

I signed up for a CMD and did so at my local Espaço Cididão. For a foreigner, it must be done in person. A caveat is that it is only valid for as long as the passport it is linked to, so when the passport expires it expires also (mine expires in March!). I was told that a completely new CMD must then be applied for in the same way - no abbreviated renewal process.

While it does mean a wait while it's issued, it later allows some online activity that otherwise is impossible.

ReplyQuote
alan
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member
03/01/2020 11:20 pm  

From this it seems that the citizens card for foreigners is the plastic version of the permanent residency card. It does not do everything that was promised in https://eco.sapo.pt/2018/06/06/simplex2 ... migrantes/.
Assuming that Boris does not throw the toys out of the pram and announce a no deal Brexit, this should apply. https://www.portaldiplomatico.mne.gov.p ... xit_EN.PDF

ReplyQuote
X Camone
(@x-camone)
Noble Member
04/01/2020 8:02 am  

From what does it seem that the citizens card for foreigners doesn't do everything that was promised in that link?

I don't think anyone who's commented here has one yet, do they?

ReplyQuote
barlaventoexpert
(@barlaventoexpert)
Honorable Member
04/01/2020 10:58 am  

We got ours courtesy of SEF in Santarem when we went to advise them of our change of address in February last year.

Has NIF, Social Security & SNS numbers on it as well. Very useful as saves having to carry lots of different info with on!

ReplyQuote
alan
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member
04/01/2020 11:43 am  

Correction, I was under the impression that the plastic card did not have NIF and SNS on it. Barlaventoexpert has put me straight.
My old paper card has another 3 years to run, but my citizenship application may get completed by then. 😉
Alan

ReplyQuote
X Camone
(@x-camone)
Noble Member
04/01/2020 2:00 pm  

Snap on the years to run on my existing document.

I'm also now strongly considering citizenship. Am I correct in inferring that you've already submitted your application? If so, how long have you been waiting to hear back so far?

ReplyQuote
alan
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member
04/01/2020 5:18 pm  

Yes, I applied last June, and so far have heard nothing. They have an online query system, for which a password is required. My local registry office are supposed to give me this password, but the staff there do not know how to get it.
Reports are that there is a waiting list of well over 100,000, and the delay is about 1 1/2 years. Given that each applicant has paid 250€ they should be able to afford extra staff to do this work.
Alan

ReplyQuote
Big Nora
(@big-nora)
Reputable Member
25/01/2020 11:51 am  

hartmill, we also got new passports (last summer) so thought we needed to change our residence card. I went SEF where I was told that we could apply for the new plastic card if we wanted the new passport number on the card. If we weren't bothered then it wasn't necessary to change our current cards. She did however, put the new numbers on her computer, which pleased me.

She also said that if the police gave us any trouble over having the wrong number on the card then we would have to go and get the new plastic ones.

ReplyQuote

You need to be a Paid User to create items and comment on this forum

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Over 6,000 members already registered on our forum
  • Post and reply to threads in the Forum (non-members can just view)
  • List products free of charge in Buy, Swap, Sell & Wanted
  • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners

Already a member? Log in here

Donate today to gain full accessOnly €20 per year
Share:

Blevin Franks Banner ad

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online