Advice on obtaining biometric card – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Advice on obtaining biometric card

3 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@wt)

I and my partner  have appointments to get biometric cards  in Coimbra next week.  Although we bought our house just before Brexit  we couldn't settle till after COVID restrictions were  lifted then lived there for 3 months  when my  partner started  to feel unwell  so returned to UK  to  get diagnosis as Portuguese poor  He was finally diagnosed with pancreatic   cancer so has been undergoing treatment ever since which has just finished 

Will  we have problems getting biometric  cards since we have exceeded to 6 months  absence though we have returned  for a week at a time  several times  when short break in between  treatment ? We have  NIF  QR  codes  but unsure what else we may need 

2 Replies

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

In the absence of any other responses so far, my personal opinion.

I don't think these appointments are being used as an opportunity to interrogate people over their previous presence here or whether they meet criteria such as means of subsistence etc. It's more of a document exchange, with very little required in terms of paperwork on our side - according to first-hand reports from people who've already attended, just a case of presenting one's passport and supplying parents' names, NIF, health and social security numbers (where applicable - not everybody will necessarily have health / SS nos), and having your photo and fingerprints taken.

So, in answer to the matter of whether you'll have problems getting the new cards, I think not, although once you have them it'd probably be wise (due to new processes and systems shortly to be implemented Schengen-wide) to stay within the allowable absences if at all possible or, if not, then to contact SEF in advance of leaving for a period in excess of what is permitted and asking for advice.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@wt)

@x-camone Great thanks  that is reassuring

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Guaranteed entry to our Migration Tuesdays Visa & Immigration Show
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon