Apostille for FBI report - Page 2 – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Apostille for FBI report

39 Posts
9 Users
34 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@aclinemissouristate-edu)

We have one of two FBI reports in hand and the other on the way. We're keeping them sealed.

Now for the apostille. Does anyone know if this can be handled at the state level? We have a sec of state office three blocks from our home that will do walk-in service for an apostille. That's how we got our banking docs done.

I fear that sending the FBI reports to the Federal government for the apostille will set our departure date back weeks.

Also sent this question to Ei!

Please offer advice or share what you did.  

38 Replies

Premium Member
(@nekos318)

Thank you for your reply. I found someone on a Facebook site that had just gone through them a few weeks ago and she said they required the apostille and she had it and they also took her sealed one. It seems to be a question that there's mixed answers to. Evidently every VFS operates differently. I'm afraid if I don't have it, they'll turn me down. When did you go through them?

Premium Member
(@nekos318)

Hi, how long ago did you go through NYC?

12 Replies
Premium Member
(@dolce)

@nekos318 very strange  - I applied in April 2022 and got my VISA in August.  They didn't even ask for the apostille.

Premium Member
(@nekos318)

@dolce The couple I spoke with yesterday just did it and they did ask for it and took their sealed one too. I'm afraid not to have it. Did you do an in-person drop off or mail it?

Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

@nekos318 Hi Cheryl,  they went through VFS on April 19.  You can check out all our participating expats on the spreadsheet we've been building as a community.  It gives dates, places etc on the D7 and SEF process.  Check it out here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XDWqT952-M_Gqn821Tq-1M0EsJ-GlEj-d5wBQU1HSY4/edit?usp=sharing

We only currently have one New York participant on the spreadsheet so you can be our second!!

Jeff

Premium Member
(@nekos318)

@misticjeff Wow! amazing how long Dolce's is taking. I'm sending out my FBI report for the apostille this morning. My VFS appt is scheduled for 29 November. Earliest I could get was 16 Nov. but was afraid I may not have apostille back in time for that appt.

Gene
Premium Member
(@gene)

@nekos318 Could this process be anymore stressful 😀

Premium Member
(@nekos318)

@gene No. I must say after I got the apostille answers yesterday from someone on Facebook, I felt like I was ready to start moving forward faster. She was kind enough to talk on the phone several times & send me docs that she had used and how to fill out some forms.

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@gene I do not believe so😂

Premium Member
(@nekos318)

@jonesdn2020 VFS in NY requires the apostille for the FBI report. Some say they didn't have it and they accepted the unopened envelope but FOR ME, I'm not taking a chance and having it apostilled. One thing that I didn't understand regarding the FBI apostille is that it has to be done at the Federal level with the Dept. of State in Washington - not the state level. It's very frustrating  and confusing how one VFS requires it one way and another doesn't.

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@nekos318 There is only one VFS checklist for the US so I do not understand how one consulate could require the apostille when the others do not.

Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

@jonesdn2020 very simply the reason there is only one SEF in Portugal but the different consulates in the U.S. require different things, i.e. in San Fran you must show up in person, in D.C. you can mail in your packet. Same country, same SEF, different requirements. All part of the FUN! 😉 😀

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@misticjeff Gilda went into some details about the different consulates on last Thursdays Casa Portuguesa webinar. She addressed the consulates requiring a 12-month lease.   

There was a question about how to get around it and the member mentioned using a lawyer to address it in the declaration of reasons to move here. She confirmed that using a lawyer to address it in the application and having that lawyer fight it out with the consulate is an approach, but it could result in delays and even a denial.

Premium Member
(@nekos318)

@jonesdn2020 read my reply above. I agree with you what the checklist  says - it would really suck if I get there for my appt. & don't have it and then have to come back at a later date with it. Some on Facebook have said NY VFS requires the apostille so I'm not taking any chances and showing up with both. I just want to get to Portugal asap!!

Premium Member
(@andrewcza)

When I was still in the USA I sent mine in the sealed envelope to Washington DC.

We did my wife's one for Family Reunification when we were already in Portugal.

For that one we did the fingerprints at the embassy at USA  Lisbon and after we received the FBI report by e-mail we had "Southeast Spanish, Inc" do the translation and the Apostle for us.

3 Replies
Community Member
(@annelie)

@andrewcza Hi Andrew, the FBI rejected my fingerprints and I'm now in the Lisbon area. It sounds like I can get my fingerprints re-done at the USA embassy in Lisbon? If you have advice on how to schedule that and where to go/what to bring, I'd sure appreciate it. Thank you so much!

Premium Member
(@andrewcza)

@annelie

The U.S. COOP  of Lisbon is responsible for fingerprinting services. You may wish to contact them for clarification at: cooplisbon@state.gov or 217 702 378.

I sent an e-mail to the e-mail address above stating that I needed Fingerprints for the FBI FD-258.

They Automatically scheduled an appointment and send a form to be filled out and returned by e-mail.

Community Member
(@annelie)

@andrewcza Thanks so much! I have my appointment and have filled out and submitted the form. I asked them to confirm receiving my form but never heard back. Is that expected?

Community Member
(@jacks444)

Would anyone have any details about what the FBI report envelope looks like? i.e. is it just in a Fedex mailer, who does it list as the sender name? etc.

Just trying to work out how we should know which envelope is the FBI report in order to not open it.

2 Replies
VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@jacks444 We signed up directly on the FBI site and selected to get a digital copy in addition to the mailed one. We used USPS for the digital fingerprints. This is the envelope we left unopened. We downloaded the digital copy to make sure everything was OK.

Community Member
(@jacks444)

@jonesdn2020 thank you so much for sharing the photo

Premium Member
(@nekos318)

Tuesday, 11/29/22, NYC: I just finished submitting my D7 application meeting VFS office/NYC. They ACCEPTED the sealed envelope for FBI report and they gave me my passport back. They no longer keep them as of 2 weeks ago. When they notify me it’s approved, then I mail it in. They require you bring that VFS checklist - the long one.  I did not have mine with me, so fortunately they gave me one. Then they require you put your documents in the order they listed on the checklist. You do not need a advanced flight booked. They were very efficient. My appt was 9:00 AM, they didn't take me until almost 10 and was finished by 10:30 AM.

4 Replies
 Gene
Premium Member
(@gene)

@nekos318 Congrats!  Nothing you can do now but wait.  Where will you be calling home when you arrive in Portugal?

Premium Member
(@nekos318)

@gene I'll be living an hour north of Lisbon in Nadadouro. Rent clock starts ticking today. Where are you?

Gene
Premium Member
(@gene)

@nekos318 We will be in Tomar.  We are getting utilities connected this month and plan to arrive in January, with or without visas.

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@nekos318 So happy for you! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Page 2 / 3

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Guaranteed entry to our Migration Tuesdays Visa & Immigration Show
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon