Applying for citizenship after five years - proving address? – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Applying for citizenship after five years - proving address?

Community Member
Topic starter
(@robinred)

Hi! I'm looking for some insight from people who might have been through the process or who know more about it.

I'm from the UK and this is my third year in Portugal. I'm thinking of applying for citizenship after five years of legal residence in Portugal (or is it 6?).

From what I've read, all they need in order to prove legal residence is the residence certificate (the piece of paper with the gold stars?). I have this, however it has my work address on it since I don't have a permanent address. I move between short term rentals so I won't be able to prove my address through bills, apartment contract, etc. Will this be a problem? Will they ask me to prove my address?

Thanks!

3 Replies

VIP Member
(@tartntiny)
Trusted Member

Hi,

I've just been through this process.  When I applied for citizenship I had done it after I received my five year permanent residence card from SEF.  I would assume they used that address.  I was never asked for proof of residence. So whatever official SEF document you have to show you have five years should be fine unless they have some reason to believe otherwise. 

I don't see anywhere they want 'proof', just an address in general. 

https://justica.gov.pt/Como-obter-nacionalidade-portuguesa/Reside-legalmente-em-Portugal-ha-pelo-menos-6-anos

I submitted only what they asked on the website and it was checked by IRN before I mailed it in.  I had loads of other papers attached just in case too, like my electric and phone bills, but IRN said it wasn't necessary so I didn't send any of it with my request and I was never asked for any extra documents for any reason. 

Tania

2 Replies
Community Member
(@robinred)

@tartntiny This is great thanks for your response. Did you do it all yourself (translation, notary, etc.) or did you get legal help/advice?

So how do they verify that you have actually been in Portugal for the majority of those five years? Or maybe they don't need to prove that.

VIP Member
(@tartntiny)

Trusted Member

I think they verify your time in Portugal by your residency status with SEF. First I had the one year temporary residence card, then the two year card which I had renewed at expiry.  So, that makes 5 years by the time the last one expired and I applied the for the permanent card. You can't renew the card if you haven't been living here full time I guess. Once you submit all your paperwork for nationality and they hear back from SEF they would very likely send you a letter for more information asking you to prove your status.  

I didn't have any legal help/advice at all.  The process seemed straight forward to me and when I needed confirmation of something I had my Portuguese friends translate. 

For official translation and notary services, my colleague at work does translations and handled that for me.  Then we went together to the notary to get it all stamped and made official. 

You can translate this, it explains the process fairly well:  https://forum.cidadaniaportuguesa.com/discussion/10565/artigo-6%C2%BA-n%C2%BA-1-da-nacionalidade

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online