British Citizen resident in EU country - routes to PT (D7?) – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

British Citizen resident in EU country - routes to PT (D7?)

Community Member
Topic starter
(@gavinp)

Hi all,

This is my first post. Great to meet you all.

I'm wondering if there are any others out there in our situation who have successfully moved to Portugal.

My partner and I (both British) have been been living in Europe, first in France, then in the Netherlands, since 2014; so 8 years in total in the block. After Brexit, we now hold our Withdrawl Agreement Visa for the Netherlands.

We would like to settle in Portugal and are thinking of the D7 route but are slightly confused about the process in our situation. For E.g. do we have to apply via the UK, travel there for appointments etc, despite living in the Netherlands? 

Is our current WA visa/time in mainland EU taken into consideration at all?

Basically, I would like to know if any other expats here have gone through a similar experience of applying for the D7 when you're already resident in another EU country.

Many thanks all.

2 Replies

Community Member
(@vianina)
Eminent Member

Hi GavinP,

Unfortunately “onward freedom of movement” was lost for expat Brits under the Withdrawal Agreement. At the time, very little publicity was given to the matter, and now it is coming back to bite people in your situation. What that means in practical terms is that you would be starting from scratch with a D7, unless you have for example been in NL long enough to get naturalized. Simply having a WA residence permit for elsewhere in the EU doesn’t help with a move to a new EU country. My understanding is that you can apply for the D7 at the Portuguese consulate in your current country of residence, ie the Netherlands. Hope it all goes well for you.

Premium Member
(@englishjacq)

Hi,

My husband and I are almost in the same boat, except I’m British and he’s American.  

I found this doc online and it seems to apply to us but when I read the English version, it’s not at all clear.  

https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/solicitar/residir/art116/

In the absence of this, I’m assuming that we would apply through our local PT consulate here in Germany. 

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online