British partner- Residency – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

British partner- Residency

11 Posts
6 Users
10 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@martt444)

Hello all, my Partner and I are actively looking at leaving the UK and relocating to Portugal. I lived in Lisbon in my early 20s and have wanted to return ever since!

About us:

I am an EU citizen, he is a British national. After looking at the D7 option, I realised that we can probably move via my EU citizenship.

Am I right in thinking that I can move to Portugal and obtain a residency card (5 years) whilst working remotely in the UK? And am I right that he can apply for a Third national family of EU citizen residency, whilst, again, working remotely in the UK? 

Thank you so much in advance.

10 Replies
Admin
(@jonesdn2020)
Illustrious Member

Hi Martina. Welcome to the forums!

You can simply move to Portugal as an EU citizen. The relationship between you and your partner as far as legality is something that has to be considered.

The D7 process in some cases is actually easier than a relationship process.

My recommendation is for you to obtain a professional opinion from Ei! Assessoria Migratória | Expats Portugal

Cristina from Ei! just mentioned that the family process has no available appointments in Portugal where the D7 does.

If you upgrade to an Expats Portugal Premium membership you will get 10% off the services from Ei!.

ACK
Community Member
(@ack)

It depends on the relationship between you.  If you guys are legally married, it will be easier to go for family reunification. other types of relationship are also recognized, but i am not sure about what documents will be asked for.

As an EU national, it is easy for you to arrive here and go to the Camara Municipal with a proof of address, Euro 15 and your EU passport.  The process is painless and you will get a residence certificate (not a card) valid for 5 years on the spot - then go get the NIF. It may be necessary to demonstrate financial capacity - I was not asked.

As for your partner, he could apply for family reunification through the Portuguese embassy in the UK based on your residence or intent to reside in Portugal. It is unnecessary for him to worry about an SEF appointment (at least for some time) if he gets the proper visa initially.  The family reunification visa is quite a bit more straightforward than the D7.

I advise you to do this yourself and avoid contact with immigration agencies.  In general, these will try to charge you plenty for consultations etc. There is nothing particularly hard about what you are trying to do. 

If your partner wants to come to Portugal on a visitor visa waiver, that is also possible.  It may be true that SEF do not have any family reunification appointments available right now, but they will open up several times per year. You can email SEF and inquire about when the appointments will open. They do actually answer their email and will normally give you a vague idea of the approximate month.  If you locate in a smaller city such as Coimbra, Viseu etc, it will be easier to get an appointment.  

1 Reply
Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@ack One thing we considered when applying for our individual D7 visas is we are not tied to each other in case of a family life change. We do need to notify SEF but we are not subject to expulsion since we are individually qualified.

Growing up in the US, with a mother on a US green card, was insightful. 

Community Member
(@amy75)

Hi! Everyone here is correct to say it will be easier if you are married instead of being partners in a de facto union. The best option for you is to just move here and get your residence certificate, it's not hard and its very fast. For your partner, you may want to consider the D7, or an appointment as a family member of an EU national. The pros and cons, as I see it, are the following: 

Family member of EU national:

Pros: fast process, if all your documents are in order; only one appointment necessary (at SEF); less documents.

Cons: the appointments aren't open right now; it depends on being able to prove your relationship (may be difficult if you aren't married).

D7 visa:

Pros: the appointments are open; it doesn't depend on your relationship, so if you aren't married, it doesn't matter; you're 100% guaranteed to be legal at all times, since you can only travel to Portugal once the visa is issued (because the embassy keeps your passport) so you wont overstay the 90 dyas.

Cons: at least 3 appointments are necessary: 1. at VFS Global, 2. at the Embassy for collecting the visa, 3. at SEF once in Portugal; furthermore, I hear that the VFS in the UK is retaining people's passports for the duration of the analysis process, so your partner won't be able to travel; it may have more costs, because more entities are getting involved; the appointments are booked by the Consulate when they approve the visa, so it may be for anywhere in Portugal; more documentation is required.

When we came over, we ended up getting a lawyer to help with all the burocracy, because even though the procedures look simple enough on the websites, its very different in reality, the SEF is impossible to contact, and quite unhelpful even when you do manage to talk to them. And lets not even get started on the terrible service of the Portuguese Consulate in London!!

The appointments weren't open but they then opened a short while later, and we managed to book a spot for October (we booked it in June). If we had started the D7 process in June, we'd probably be looking at an appointment at SEF in December (beacuse first you have to get your visa approved, which is 2-3 months, then you have to go to the appointment, which is normally scheduled towards the end of the visa's 4 month validity).

Our lawyer was amazing, she's English herself, and she explained the whole thing to us and it really made a huge difference in terms of stress, which for me was totally worth it, because with the stress of moving your whole life from one country to another, who needs the extra stress of trying to figure out how to deal with the legalese and burocratese of a foreign country? Let me know if you want me to give you her contact (I'm not sure if it's ok to post it here).

Either way, I'd reccommend talking to a lawyer or consultant first, so they can let you know whats the best option, you don't want to be halfway through the process and figure out that theres a problem.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Posted by: @ack

As for your partner, he could apply for family reunification through the Portuguese embassy in the UK based on your residence or intent to reside in Portugal. It is unnecessary for him to worry about an SEF appointment (at least for some time) if he gets the proper visa initially.  The family reunification visa is quite a bit more straightforward than the D7.

You can't get a family reunification visa on the EU citizen's "intent to reside", the EU citizen must be resident in PT for there to be reunification.

Family members of EU citizens can arrive in PT with the EU citizen and not register anywhere for the first 90 days. Within the 30 days following (so days 91 to 120) the family member must request a resident's permit from SEF and submit the required documentation.
When the request is submitted to SEF they will issue a certificate proving the application for a resident's permit has been submitted.
Within 3 months of the request SEF will issue a resident's permit.
No SEF appointment necessary, albeit the applicant and EU citizen may be called for interview if SEF have doubts as to the authenticity of the relationship, but the certificate issued when the request was submitted allows residency for the family member and only loses validity if the application for a resident's permit is refused and even then only after the appeal processes have been conducted and confirmed the refusal is justified.

(PT has 2 immigration acts, one for EU citizens and their family members, the other for third country citizens and their family members.) 

5 Replies
Community Member
(@panner)

@old-bloke 

Hi, would the initial request to SEF be in person or online?

thanks

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

@panner 

The initial request is made online.

Community Member
(@panner)

@old-bloke 

Thank you.

Would you know where on the SEF website I could find details of this and required documents etc.?

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Community Member
(@panner)

@old-bloke 

Thank you so much, appreciate your help, it is sometimes difficult to find the right area in official websites.

Apologies to OP for high jacking your thread.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal