Certificado de Registo Process Before & After Brexit 31/12/20 – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Certificado de Registo Process Before & After Brexit 31/12/20  

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
(@freeman)

Hello, I am a British citizen looking to buy land and live in Portugal. 
I was there in August and managed to obtain a Numero de Indentificacao Fiscal (NIF)
I was under the impression that as long as i have an NIF before the 31st December, then the process for obtaining residency (Certificado de Registo) would be the same as before Brexit.
But from what im seeing on the UK Gov website, it seems to be suggesting that i must have the Certificado de Registo BEFORE 31st December also.

I didnt plan to return to Portugal until Spring, but i could potentially come over late November/December to apply for residency if this is going to make life a lot easier for me. 

Could anyone give any advice and say if it is indeed necessary for British nationals to apply for residency BEFORE 31st Dec, and if you don't have it before this deadline, how will the process be complicated?

From the UK Gov website i understand that to apply for Certificado de Registo you need a proof of address & proof of income or means to support yourself.

As i have not yet purchased a property, what kind of proof of address is acceptable? 
I have friends living there who i will likely be staying with while i am searching for property to buy. Will i be able to put forward a friends address for this purpose? and if so, what kind of proof can i provide them with? 
If not, can i give a hotel invoice? If not, what other options do i have?  

As for providing proof of income or means to support myself, would a bank statement of a savings account with sufficient funds be acceptable for this? If so, what kind of amount is likely to be acceptable? Or will they want to see evidence of money coming into the account regularly and know that i will have a means of income while living in Portugal? (i ask because i will be looking to support myself from savings upon arrival and setting up a new business over there.)

Alot of questions i know, but any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Im sure a lot of others have similar questions to me right now. Thanks in advance. 🙂  

12 Replies
Premium Member
(@crisamaral)

Hello Freeman,

Nobody knows how it is going to be like after BREXIT, but you will possibly need to get a residency visa from the UK to Portugal in order to establish residency here.

You will need to come to Portugal before December 31st, and do the registration (it needs to be done in person). 

Your friends can help you obtain proof of address from the local parish, so you can use that for the registration, but you also need to be here for that.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

You have to be resident in Portugal before 31/12/20 and maintain residency after that to have protected rights under the Withdrawal Agreement (Article 10).

The WA also gives you until 30/6/20 to register residency but you will likely have to provide evidence of daily life in Portugal before 31/12/20 like utility bills or receipts for goods and services.

Failing that, from 01/01/20 you will have to apply for residency in the same way as all people from non EU member states currently have to.

3 Replies
Community Member
(@freeman)

@old-bloke thanks for your response.
when you say: "The WA also gives you until 30/6/20 to register residency"
do you mean 30/6/21?? 
&
"you will likely have to provide evidence of daily life in Portugal before 31/12/20 like utility bills or receipts for goods and services."
regarding this, will the fact that i got my Numero de Indentificacao Fiscal (NIF) back in august be sufficient you think? 

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@freeman

Yes, fat fingers on my part, it should have read 30/06/21.

I doubt a NIF alone will be enough as it doesn't prove evidence of daily life in Portugal, holiday home owners have a NIF but don't live here.

I would advise anyone who thinks they may need to provide proof of daily life in Portugal to use their NIF on every purchase, even supermarket shopping, and save every receipt.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

That should have been 30/06/21, and I failed to point out that registrations after 01/01/21 are made at SEF, not the Camara.

VIP Member
(@somanyquestions)
Estimable Member

before brexit all you need are the following which you take to your local Camara.

passport

NIF

Proof of address (utility bills) or rental contract.

You can get an atestado from the local Junta, but you need that signing by 2 people from the same Junta area. But I do not think that alone is sufficient proof.

Bank statement from a Portuguese bank, showing movement of money in and out for the previous 3 months (they do not want to see any balance, just movement). Basicly to prove that you have been in Portugal during the previous 90 days

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member
Posted by: @somanyquestions

before brexit all you need are the following which you take to your local Camara.

passport

NIF

Proof of address (utility bills) or rental contract.

You can get an atestado from the local Junta, but you need that signing by 2 people from the same Junta area. But I do not think that alone is sufficient proof.

Bank statement from a Portuguese bank, showing movement of money in and out for the previous 3 months (they do not want to see any balance, just movement). Basicly to prove that you have been in Portugal during the previous 90 days

Not according to the British Embassy in a recent live Q & A session which is available for viewing on their Brits in Portugal Facebook page. They say you don't even need a PT bank account at all.

They also say you can register before you have been in the country 90 days, and that is also very clearly stated on the SEF website on this 30 second video :

VIP Member
(@somanyquestions)
Estimable Member

Well I am telling you what my own Camara wanted and accepted. 

Clearly the spending of money is proof they decided was what is needed to show presence in the country. Of course that may or may not be true if one gave ones PT card to someone else to use in your absence.

You will find that in lots of ways Camaras often interpret laws/rules differently.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online