Criminal Records Check in UK – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

[Solved] Criminal Records Check in UK

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@jane55)

Hi, this is my first of many questions I'm sure... We are currently at the very beginning of this long and complicated process of applying for a D7 visa and I am really stumbling at the first hurdle.. I know that I need to submit a Criminal Records Check and spent many hours last night completing it, uploading documents in the right format etc etc (only to have lost it by this morning!!) But, my question is... how do I know that ACRO is a legitimate website? I could be sending all of my my personal details to some fraudulent site and paying £55 for the privilege.. Can anybody help me with some reassurance or maybe a link to a site that they have used successfully... Thank you.. 

16 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

www.acro.police.uk is the official police website for such checks.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@jane55)

@old-bloke Thank you.. that is reassuring..

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Estimable Member

Lucky you that you have only 1 super easy country to do police checks from! I got 3 and they are not easy 😀

4 Replies
Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Reputable Member

@itexpert7 oh my!  Do they require a police check from multiple countries ?  Every country one has lived in? For me that would be quite a few

Community Member
(@jane55)

@itexpert7 Thank you for response... That is interesting to know about different countries.. When completing my last addresses for the past 10 years it included two addresses in France.. Does that mean that have to check France as well as my home addresses in Uk.? Nothing to hide you understand!!!! Just wondering if that will make it more complicated..

Community Member
(@jane55)

Well that was all very efficient and easy (this is boding well!!), received my Certificate in the post today saying I am not a criminal!!! This was done in about one week, so pretty efficient by todays standards.. I now have a million more questions but suppose I should post them under a different heading.. Again, thanks to one and all for taking the time to respond.. 

GedB
Community Member
(@gedb)

@itexpert7 I was under the impression that you only have to provide a criminal background check from either the country of origin or the country in which you have been resident over a year? It states that here: https://vistos.mne.gov.pt/en/national-visas/necessary-documentation/residency

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

I just used ACRO for a criminal record check for my citizenship application, they are a legitimate site and sent the documents in the time frame they promised. 

Incidentally, do you need to get your documents legalised for the D7 visa?

1 Reply
Community Member
(@jane55)

@pamalcobaca thanks for the response.. I took a leap of faith yesterday and just sent it in, so that is reassuring to know, thank you.. I am not quite sure about 'legalising' documents - that's something else I shall have to worry about I'm sure..

Gav
Premium Member
(@gav)
Eminent Member

Hi there, probably too late to the party on this one, and my reply only applies to those residing in Scotland, but I applied to Disclosure Scotland (£25 fee) and they sent me the cert through within a week or so.

https://www.mygov.scot/disclosure-types  

And it was accepted by VFS ok.

Good luck with the application process! 

5 Replies
Premium Member
(@blaze451)

@gav Thats great to know for me as the Acro one was looking a bit of a pain in the backside as am struggling to think of an endorser being billy no mates 🙁

Premium Member
(@blaze451)

@gav Could you tell me if you had to get the disclosure notarised/apostilled or any other docs you had to supply?

Gav
Premium Member
(@gav)

Eminent Member

@blaze451 Hi there, no, didn't have to do any of that 👍

Premium Member
(@blaze451)

@gav cheers, once less expense to have to account for.

Gav
Premium Member
(@gav)

Eminent Member

@blaze451 Haha I know, right!

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online