D7 residency visa queries help – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

D7 residency visa queries help

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@davidd)

Hi all help please. I am not a US person nor resident in USA however the New York Portuguese consulate or rather VFS look after applications for my country of residence. I have appointment at VFS in NY on 16 May. Does the VFS retain passports for inserting  the visa?  One more question: I have all documents and requirements requested do any documents need to be notarized in my country of residence? Any help much appreciated.  David still in Portugal

18 Replies

Premium Member
(@kellyd)

Hi David,

At my VFS appointment in San Francisco on March 18, 2022, we were told it could take 10-12 weeks to get the visa, so we kept our passports. They said they would contact us when they needed us to send them in. We paid about $35 at the VFS meeting to cover the cost of them sending the passports back to us. We were told that if we are out of the country when they ask for the passports, we will have to return. No mailing them from outside the US.

I can't help you with your second question.

5 Replies
Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @kellyd

Hi David,

At my VFS appointment in San Francisco on March 18, 2022, we were told it could take 10-12 weeks to get the visa, so we kept our passports.

Hi Kelly,

If I may ask, what were the fees you were required to pay at your VFS visit?  I know that it changes monthly and i'm not going until May but want an idea.  $35 for return shipping of your Passports and....

Thanks

Jeff

Premium Member
(@marlon)

@kellyd I have my upcoming appointment in SF. I am supposed to travel to Portugal the next day for two weeks. I just want to make sure I can ask them to let me keep my passport. Is that what you did? Otherwise I have to cancel my trip! Thanks!

Premium Member
(@davidd)

@marlon hi after my meeting with VFS in New York They said keep my passport so I can return to Cayman. So yes ask to keep passport. When (if) visa D7 approved I FedEx passport to them for visa stamped in it. I send them pre paid courier envelope so that they can return passport to my place of residence which is Cayman. Next day I shoot offto my apartment and cat in Tavira. I believe you need be back in your country residence to received passport stamped with visa. I have almost reach my 90 days allowed in Portugal. I read they are checking passports to ensure folks do not overstay allowed days per year. Hope this helps. Enjoy your time in Portugal. Cheers David

Premium Member
(@kellyd)

@marlon Yes, you can ask them to let you keep your passport. In fact, if you tell them you are traveling to Portugal the next day they will tell you to keep it. In my case our flight to Portugal (to move) had been scheduled for months, and was to take place 6 weeks after the VFS appointment. We thought that would be plenty of time for them to issue the visa. But they told us it would take 10-12 weeks and if we already had a flight scheduled we should keep our passports. We went ahead with our flight as scheduled and figured we would have to fly back when they notified us the visas were ready. As @DavidD says below, you must be in your home country to courier the passport to them when they notify you the visa is ready. We were scheduled to fly back on May 25 to courier the visas but we were exposed to someone who tested positive for Covid and had to cancel our flight. Now we are flying back June 14 and will courier the passports as soon as we get back. They said to allow 2-3 working days for them to get the passports back to us. I realize your 2 week trip is different in that it is only a visit and not your permanent move. In our case it would have been cheaper to cancel the first flight and stay at home (except we had sold our house) the extra weeks until the visas were ready. But for a variety of reasons we decided to go ahead and stick with the original flight and plans.

Premium Member
(@davidd)

@marlon hi Marlon. Yes. I asked VFS in New York and said ok to keep my passport. Just courier it   To them from my country of residence when visa approved.  Send them pre paid return courier airway bill. So now long wait for approval at my sons house as I have rented my house. Enjoy your trip to Portugal. Remember to return to USA to remit and receive your passport.

Premium Member
(@kellyd)

Hi David,

We paid $78.15 for the application fee and the $35 for the return of the passport.

5 Replies
Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @kellyd

Hi David,

We paid $78.15 for the application fee and the $35 for the return of the passport.

Sorry for all the questions...  These were two separate money orders/cashiers checks? Credit Card?

Thanks for your help

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)

Reputable Member

@misticjeff We paid $106.64 for our applications each via cashiers check. We paid the $35 or close to it for the fedex return via our debit card. The application fees are tied to the exchange rate and fluctuate at the beginning of each month.  When the consulate returned our passports with the visa they included like $10 and some change. Weird!

Premium Member
(@kellyd)

@misticjeff it turns out I gave you incorrect information. When I saw @JonesDN2020 reply that he paid $106.64 for each application, I went back and checked my records. In fact we paid $102.20 for each application in the form of a money order (one for each app). The $35 fedx passport return fee was paid with credit card. Sorry about that.

Premium Member
(@davidd)

@kellyd hi thank you guys for all the information. I read that fees can also be paid by credit card at the time of my interview on 16 May. The VFS web site says if the applicant has residence outside USA the application and docs can be mailed to them. I prefer to fly up to NY city from Cayman to attend interview in person so any issues with my docs can be sorted out then plus they see my passport. I’ll get it notarized just to be on safe side. Kind regards to all David 

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)

Reputable Member

@davidd We read that the application fees could be paid by credit card as well only to find out at the San Francisco VFS this was incorrect. The sign stated money order or cashiers check made payable to the Consulate General of Portugal with an exact amount of the consulate fee. They did take a card for the overnight Fedex return label for our passport.

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)
Reputable Member

OK. I found my receipt from VFS and it refreshes my memory on why the VFS site says the fees can be paid by credit or debit. They are referring to their fees and not the consulate fees. We each had to do the money order or cashiers check to the Consulate for 106.64. VFS charged us 42.83 each for a service charge. They charged us 35 each for courier fee ie fed ex overnight for the return of our passport.  The VFS service fee in addition to the courier fee can be paid via credit or debit card but not the consulate.  That is what they are saying on their website. I remember it being confusing but blanked it out of my mind after the appointment. The consulate returned 5.18 to each of us with the return of our passports out of the 106.64. Hope that helps!

Premium Member
(@misticjeff)
Estimable Member

Another question for you veterans of VFS San Francisco.

Do they allow you to bring in your daypack/bag? I'm reading they do not and i'll be by myself and not sure what to do with my daypack?

Thanks

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@kellyd)

@misticjeff Yes, I had a small Jansport daypack with me and they allowed me in with it. I had my laptop inside, which I had read was a good idea to take. I didn't need my laptop, it turned out. My daypack was like the one in the photo I'm going to attempt to attach.

For what it is worth, my wife and I had appointments about 1.5 hrs apart. But we went up together and explained to the security guard that we were married and we thought they might want to take us as a couple. He was OK with that and let us both into the waiting room, which was pretty much full. When I was called up (my appointment was first), I explained to the VFS person that my wife was in the room in case he wanted to take us together. He didn't, but he did take her right after me, even though her appointment was for later.

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)

Reputable Member

@misticjeff We read that as well and did not bring in our backpack. Shannon did bring her rather large purse and we each had large envelopes with our docs. The guard just searched her purse so I would think a backpack would be no different. Some folks had really large purses in the room. @KellyD confirmed so perfect.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online