D7 Visa Question - when does the 120 days start? – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

D7 Visa Question - when does the 120 days start?

Page 1 / 3

Community Member
Topic starter
(@belindaa)

Hi All
We are fairly new members here, and for us, things are about to get "fun."

We are in the US, and are getting ready to actually file our D7 application at the end of the month.  We should be receiving our FBI background check within the next few days, and then we will be ready to file at VFSGobal.

Obviously timing is a bit scary. as we have already scheduled and paid for flights to Portugal on March 18th, 2021.  At least they are changeable.  We also have booked the first 3 months of accommodations at an Airbnb in Lisbon, and the second 3 months at a hotel, which is cancellable, assuming we are able to find an Apartment with a 12 month lease within the first 3 months.

Our Question - For the visa which is granted at the Portuguese Consulate, when does the 4 months start?  Upon approval, or upon arrival? 

Thank you to all.  This is an interesting process, especially with the COVID 19 issues going on.

30 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

I think the 120 days start counting on your first day of arrival in Portugal.

Admin
(@astridff)

Hi Belinda,

How exciting for you.

We have done a couple of webinars with our favourite immigration company Ei! Migrante which you may enjoy watching. Some of your questions may be answered. Take a look here at the recordings:

https://expatsportugal.com/portugal-calling-webinars/

Keep us posted on your journey 🙂

Astrid

Anonymous

I think the 120 starts when that nice man at the airport runs your passport through the computer and gives it a good cha-ching stamp. 😎 😎 

@peggyL

1 Reply
Community Member
(@belindaa)

@peggyl

Thank you!  😎 😉 

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)
Reputable Member

This is good to know. Where did you get your FBI background checks? We got ours through Identogo and they did not come with apostilles. We submitted them to the US State department 7 weeks ago and we're still waiting. 🙁 

12 Replies
Community Member
(@belindaa)

@maxgravy, we went through National Background Check Incorporated.  Friday we went and got our fingerprints done at Fast Fingerprints, which they emailed to National Background Check. We emailed the application to NBCI yesterday morning. We paid extra to have an electronic copy which they sent to us last night @6:45 pm. We are now waiting for the hard copy to arrive so we can put in our application to VFS (they then send it to the Portuguese Embassy). We are not doing apostilles.  We have read and seen YouTube segments stating that if you DO NOT open the envelope that comes from the FBI you do not need an apostille.

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

Reputable Member

@belindaa Interesting. Thanks for the reply. How long did you have to wait for the background checks? We only got electronic copies. It's been 10 weeks since we made our appointments at Identogo. We were ready to sell our house when we found out about the delays. Everything has been on hold ever since.

Community Member
(@belindaa)

@maxgravy, I’m sorry to hear about all your issues.  Our electronic copies only took @7 hours. We did not do the expedited service. We will see how long it takes for the hard copy to get to us.

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

Reputable Member

@belindaa Did you get them direct from the FBI? When we first started they told us it would take 12 weeks. That's why we went to Identogo.

Premium Member
(@kkcwalton)

Estimable Member

@thunderduck Hey, Thank you for the info on the time it takes to get the FBI background checks.  I just applied for mine, in hopes it arrives in time for our June application.

Sorry to hear your house sale is being delayed by this.  One step at a time, eh?  Best wishes, KK

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

Reputable Member

@kkcwalton Glad I could help but remember the info I posted about the D7 is over a year old now. We've been in Portugal for 10 months. Our house sale closed a year ago. It worked out great. All the best to you!

Premium Member
(@kkcwalton)

Estimable Member

@thunderduck Oh gosh, I should have looked at the date.  I thought you were already in Lisbon from our previous correspondence, but thank you for teaching me that!  At any rate, I fired off our FBI checks, so they should be here by June.  LOL

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

Reputable Member

@kkcwalton Yes, we're in Lisbon but we got our D7s a year ago.

Premium Member
(@pinehouse)

Eminent Member

@belindaa Hello, I am a fellow US citizen and just about to try and get a "criminal record certificate" for the Portuguese Resident Visa for our appt with the consulate on Jan 8. Could I kindly ask what document you requested through NBCI? How long did it take too and any other good info/advice. Good luck with your move during covid!

Anonymous

@maxgravy

Also got our fingerprints & background check through National Backgroundcheck INC. They send the prints digitally to the FBI. Took us a week to get the FBI report back. 

@ peggyL

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

Reputable Member

@peggyl How long ago was this? When we applied 7 weeks ago the FBI was predicting 12 weeks turnaround.

Anonymous

@maxgravy

sorry Max, it was 2 years ago! 

Page 1 / 3

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online