Goodbye SEF, hello SEA. – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Goodbye SEF, hello SEA.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

https://dre.pt/application/conteudo/161386481?fbclid=IwAR1_mNID2xrZnNVeWgqOT78wvATl7VRBRF7XSKlvL4l4FFs69bHhGM46Cnw

The change envisaged in item 7 is what will affect existing residents.  

9 Replies

VIP Member
(@barlaventoexpert)
Honorable Member

Thanks for that!

By integrating the system into to the IRN suggests to me that the New Post-Brexit ID Cards will be delayed a lot longer as the IRN appears to be overloaded with backlogs for Cartões de Cidadães right now. 

Just need to be patient.

7 Replies
Admin
(@thomasribatejo)

Reputable Member

@barlaventoexpert Indeed - although it does mention speed and simplification, and hopefully they will transfer staff with expertise, etc.

You're right, patience is needed.  Happily, I think there are few circumstances for most people where the lack of the new card will be a problem - of course, it all depends on who one gets, but the combination of old EU document and portal application code seem to be accepted for the time being.

VIP Member
(@barlaventoexpert)

Honorable Member

@thomasandmatthew

Indeed!

I was stopped by the PSP recently doing a COVID Operation Stop. Showed the Sr. Agente my PT driving licence & old EU id card. No problem. Asked me where I was headed which was within the rules. No problem!   

Community Member
(@omena)

Eminent Member

@barlaventoexpert

Do we need to do anything about it or just wait?

7 - Determine that you must transfer from SEF to the Institute of Registries and Notaries, I. P.
(IRN, I. P.), the competence to issue passports and renew residence permits,
ensuring mechanisms for rapid processing and simplification of the procedure, including the
access by the IRN, I. P., to the databases necessary for this purpose, provided for in paragraph 12.
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@omena

Just wait, it's all in the process of being implemented.

VIP Member
(@barlaventoexpert)

Honorable Member
Admin
(@thomasribatejo)

Reputable Member

@omena your concern here may be due to the inaccurate translation. There is no "you", and therefore no direct instruction, in the original. It should read more like "the role of doing... should be transferred", so an expression of what changes are being made to administrative functions.

VIP Member
(@barlaventoexpert)

Honorable Member

@thomasandmatthew

The moral of the story is:

1) DON'T trust GOOGLE Translate.... its default to translation to/from Brazilian Portuguese. Causes all sorts of problems! NOSSA!

2) Try to acquire some capacity to read Portuguese. Even with direct translation using a dictionary, sometimes things don't make sense.

For example, the phrase " levar o cabo" which directly translated means "lift the cable" means colloquially "to get started"! It comes from Portugal's old maritime traditions. The original meaning was "to cast off" when the cables were let go to allow ships to leave the quayside.

When one gets into reading Portuguese legislation and regulations it can become even more archaic.

Admin
(@carlm)
Reputable Member

Apologies Old Bloke, I've double posted this news. I should have known you might share this. Thank you.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online