Hello. I'm a little confused about the D2 visa. – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Hello. I'm a little confused about the D2 visa.

Anonymous
Topic starter

Hello,

I've just joined this forum after looking around a little bit. It looks full of good information. Thank you everybody.

Here is what I am confused about:

I am British, my wife is from South America. We live in Colombia at the moment but really really REALLY want to leave as soon as possible, preferably three years ago :-). We were set to leave before Brexit and move to Portugal but Covid and all that made it impossible.

We are both writers and publishers and we make all of our income from one particular website (I think you can guess which one). Therefore we are not employees, or even freelancers. We do not have a work contract or provide services. All of our money comes from outside of Portugal, and could be classed as passive, so we would appear to be perfect for the D7 visa. The problem is we had a bad November and a worse January and in those months we did not make the required amount. We have one child so I think the income level per month is 1400 euro-ish, minimum. We made less in Nov and Jan by a couple of hundred, and in February we only just scraped over that. The other months we have made enough. We do have 20,000 euros in savings, so maybe the visa would be granted to us, but the consulate here do not answer our enquiries and we are not even sure they handle visas. I have sent messages and even phoned and cannot get an answer.

We really would like to go to Portugal and apply for either the D7 or D2 when we are there. Neither of us need a Schengen visa to enter Portugal.

I have just watched the video on YouTube with the lady from EI about the D2. She said at one point that the process MUST be started in our home country but then in the next sentence said it can be done in Portugal but it might take two years and we would be unable to travel during that time. This is fine with me, as long as I can get out of here as quick as possible.

Our income is going up every month (except for in January!) and I'm eager to start a new project and would prefer to start it in Portugal with a Portuguese bank account and Portuguese tax number (the megalithic corporation we sell our books with deducts 30% tax from everything we make in the USA as Colombia does not have a treaty with them, which p***** me off! also, they will not send our royalties direct to Colombia so we have to route it via an online payment portal, which eats up ten percent of the profits) so I want to get there ASAP.

Sorry for the long post. It was probably unnecessary. I could have just asked the question 'does anybody have any experience of applying for the D2 or D7 visa from within Portugal?'

Thanks!

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online