How to obtain main residency in Portugal as EU citizen? – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

How to obtain main residency in Portugal as EU citizen?

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@slavek)

Hello dear expats!

Me (Czech Republic) and my friend (Germany) have moved to Lisbon approx. two weeks ago. We both quitted our main residencies in our countries, therefore I assume we have to establish our main residency in Portugal now. Can you please tell us what paperwork we need to have done in order to have our main residency status in Portugal? This is our main question we want to sort out. So far we have done following paperwork:

CRUE

--> During our application for CRUE nobody asked us if we want to register our address as main residency or secondary residency. This is confusing, because for example when I was living in Austria they required to specify if the residency is main, or secondary.

NIF

--> We have obtained it with through direct visit of tax office, we have there the same address as we register for CRUE

--> We also went to their online portal and applied for password in order to be able to login

--> We want to start working for at Uber eats. For that we were asked for a document "Declaração de início de atividade Profissionais (CAE 53200)." I assume this we can do only through the online system of the tax authority (after we receive our password to log in)?

SNS

--> We have sent email to health authorities and applied for our SNS numbers through email (lxcentral.inscricoes@arslvt.min-saude.pt). I have received automatic answer from them saying that it might be done in days, but it might take couple of weeks as well. That sucks, we would like to start working for uber eats asap (btw my friend wrote to exactly the same address and did not receive this automatic answer)

--> Is this SNS for both health insurance and social security?

Banking account

We would like to open Portuguese banking account. Can you recommend some good, cheap and expat friendly bank?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

TLDR: How to obtain main residency status in Portugal as European citizens?

21 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)
Posted by: @slavek

During our application for CRUE nobody asked us if we want to register our address as main residency or secondary residency

In signing the declaration to get the CRUE, you are effectively confirming that the address in question is your primary/permanent address.  You should also register at your Junta de Freguesia, for the confirmation of residency at that level (which is useful/necessary for some other purposes)

NIF

--> We have obtained it with through direct visit of tax office, we have there the same address as we register for CRUE

This helps corroborate the above point.

--> We have sent email to health authorities and applied for our SNS numbers through email (lxcentral.inscricoes@arslvt.min-saude.pt). I have received automatic answer from them saying that it might be done in days, but it might take couple of weeks as well. That sucks, we would like to start working for uber eats asap (btw my friend wrote to exactly the same address and did not receive this automatic answer)

If your local Centro de Saúde has restarted doing in-person registration, you could have done it directly - however not all CdSs have, and it's possible that trying there after being acknowledged as applying on line could cause confusion!

Is this SNS for both health insurance and social security?

No, the SNS Número de Utente is just the Health User Number, which is essential for all healthcare access, public and private.  You cannot get the NISS (Segurança Social - Social Security) number until you start working (or a small number of other defined circumstances, but mainly related to employment).

For banks, I would recommend speaking to the nearby ones, and seeing which is most helpful.  This can vary by branch, with the same company being wonderful in some places, and terrible in others.  None is unfriendly to expats at a company level, to my knowledge.  Personally, I am very happy with Crédito Agrícola, after less positive experiences with others.  Many people like/prefer the online banks, but that's a matter of personal choice.  Moey is the online-only version of Crédito Agrícola, for instance - many of the main banks have online versions.

I can't help on the online registration for self-employment, sorry!

Good luck with it all!  Sounds like you are essentially doing all the right things.

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Estimable Member

Wow it took you only 2 weeks to register as residents with the local Camara? It took me 5 months (Loule Camara was closed for 3 months and then had wait 2 months for the appointment!).

@thomasribatejo
I don't even know what "Junta de Freguesia" is, we just registered at the Camara and have our official documents. Do we need more? We will move house soon.

I can recommend the Millennium bank, as their online banking is in ENGLISH (unlike Santander)
I was able to open my account by sending all documents by email and just going there to sign once. They didn't ask for much.

(@thomasribatejo)

Pre-COVID, it was a matter of showing up and queueing, so could have been a matter of an hour or so... so it's good things are heading towards a more natural rhythm.

The Junta de Freguesia is the parish council (in UK parlance), so it's the level below the municipality.  A number of things are handled at that level, and the Atestado de Residência they issue is needed for certain things.  Interestingly, in some municipalities, this is required before the CRUE is issued...  It's worth getting, even if you use it less often.  In simple terms, it's proof of you living in a specific place, and it's unrelated to where you come from; whereas the CRUE is proof of your Portuguese residency as an EU citizen.  

7 Replies
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

@thomasribatejo 

Personally, I wouldn't bother with getting an atestado from the JdF until such time as some authority says they need to see it. Those things have a very short shelf life, so it's not something that has indefinite usefulness.

(@thomasribatejo)

In legal/bureaucratic terms, the Atestado has no expiration (unlike many documents, which do); however, an entity requiring it can reasonably ask for an updated one if it believes it is likely to no longer be accurate. (This is the official guidance). This can usually be countered with recent evidence of living at the address, such as utility bills in your name showing that address. (This is my experience, not official guidance)

When I initially registered my CRUE (and first sorted NIF, bank account, and all the other gubbins) in the Algarve, it was never needed. In Sintra municipality, when I moved, it was a pre-requisite for everything - updating CRUE, utilities, SNS... Now in Santarém, it's somewhere in between the two, with no predictability (and I am still using a >2 year old one with no questions asked). So, whether you need it at all, or how often, depends on those processing your paperwork, and if no-one needs it, then sure, don't worry about it (just be aware that it is "a thing" if you do get asked for it).

In my opinion - only that - it is a useful part of the "pack" of documents you take/use for anything bureaucratic. But it is the least used, certainly.

Premium Member
(@bornaa)

@thomasribatejo We are moving to Sintra. Has anyone recently moved and any experience? 

Thomas when did you have to do this in Sintra? Many thanks in advance. 

We are EU citizens family. Hopefully we don't need to register unnecessary things. Nameste!

(@thomasribatejo)

@bornaa When we moved to Sintra in 2018, the Atestado de Residência was a pre-requisite for the Câmara Municipal in terms of the issuing of the CRUE (EU residency).  Technically, it isn't required by the Portuguese authorities; but individual Câmaras/offices/staff can require things, and refusing/correcting them doesn't always achieve your objective!

However, the Atestado de Residência is not unnecessary - it can reasonably be requested for a variety of things, including contractual matters (utilities, etc).  It proves your specific residency within Portugal (whereas the CRUE proves your legal entitlement to reside in Portugal generally).

If it is not required by the CM for your CRUE, you can certainly put it on the "lower priority" list; but don't be surprised to be asked for it at some future time.

Premium Member
(@bornaa)

@thomasribatejo many thanks for explaining it. Got it.

Community Member
(@slavek)

@thomasribatejo

Thomas, if I understand correctly, if I have my CRUE, NIF (and maybe also NISS and SNS) then I am considered to be resident of Portugal right? I do not need the Atestado de Residência to be considered resident, is that correct?

I am asking, because I have canceled my residency in my home country (Czech Republic) and I assume I am obligated to have a registered residency somewhere, in my case Portugal now. 

(@thomasribatejo)

@slavek 

You are correct.

The CRUE and the Atestado serve different functions - the CRUE is about your right to reside in Portugal (and your specific location within Portugal is largely irrelevant).

The Atestado proves your specific address, and can legitimately be requested for various purposes.  It proves nothing regarding your right to reside in Portugal, merely that you actually live at the stated address in the given freguesia.

@vianina mentions, some juntas may behave differently regarding the atestado.  However, it is a standard service with a standard fee for a document everyone is entitled to request, so provided you meet the requirements of the process, there is no other reasonable basis on which a junta de freguesia can refuse to issue one, for example a requirement for you to explain why you need one.  (It is common for juntas to be unfamiliar with expat/immigrant issues - for example, registering to vote is often dismissed as "não é aqui" (when it most definitely is their role), due to lack of training and familiarity with something which does not apply to Portguese citizens.  I do not blame the individual staff, by the way.)

However, to return to my previous point - it is a useful document; you are highly likely to need one at some point in time; but it's lower on the list than the other things you mention, and doesn't relate to your right to reside in Portugal.

Premium Member
(@vianina)
Eminent Member

You do not need the Atestado de Residência to be considered resident, since the CRUE is what makes you resident. Moreover, to get an Atestado from my Junta you have to give a valid reason for wanting it. I don't think 'just in case' would work.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online