How to obtain main residency in Portugal as EU citizen? – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

How to obtain main residency in Portugal as EU citizen?

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@slavek)

Hello dear expats!

Me (Czech Republic) and my friend (Germany) have moved to Lisbon approx. two weeks ago. We both quitted our main residencies in our countries, therefore I assume we have to establish our main residency in Portugal now. Can you please tell us what paperwork we need to have done in order to have our main residency status in Portugal? This is our main question we want to sort out. So far we have done following paperwork:

CRUE

--> During our application for CRUE nobody asked us if we want to register our address as main residency or secondary residency. This is confusing, because for example when I was living in Austria they required to specify if the residency is main, or secondary.

NIF

--> We have obtained it with through direct visit of tax office, we have there the same address as we register for CRUE

--> We also went to their online portal and applied for password in order to be able to login

--> We want to start working for at Uber eats. For that we were asked for a document "Declaração de início de atividade Profissionais (CAE 53200)." I assume this we can do only through the online system of the tax authority (after we receive our password to log in)?

SNS

--> We have sent email to health authorities and applied for our SNS numbers through email (lxcentral.inscricoes@arslvt.min-saude.pt). I have received automatic answer from them saying that it might be done in days, but it might take couple of weeks as well. That sucks, we would like to start working for uber eats asap (btw my friend wrote to exactly the same address and did not receive this automatic answer)

--> Is this SNS for both health insurance and social security?

Banking account

We would like to open Portuguese banking account. Can you recommend some good, cheap and expat friendly bank?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

TLDR: How to obtain main residency status in Portugal as European citizens?

8 Replies

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Estimable Member

Wow it took you only 2 weeks to register as residents with the local Camara? It took me 5 months (Loule Camara was closed for 3 months and then had wait 2 months for the appointment!).

@thomasribatejo
I don't even know what "Junta de Freguesia" is, we just registered at the Camara and have our official documents. Do we need more? We will move house soon.

I can recommend the Millennium bank, as their online banking is in ENGLISH (unlike Santander)
I was able to open my account by sending all documents by email and just going there to sign once. They didn't ask for much.

Community Member
(@vianina)
Eminent Member

You do not need the Atestado de Residência to be considered resident, since the CRUE is what makes you resident. Moreover, to get an Atestado from my Junta you have to give a valid reason for wanting it. I don't think 'just in case' would work.

Community Member
(@vianina)
Eminent Member

You do not need the Atestado de Residência to be considered resident, since the CRUE is what makes you resident. Moreover, to get an Atestado from my Junta you have to give a valid reason for wanting it. I don't think 'just in case' would work.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @thomasribatejo

so there is no reasonable basis on which a junta de freguesia can refuse to issue one

Not having the signed confirmation from two current residents of that parish confirming that the applicant does in fact live at the address stated would be grounds for refusal to issue it.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online