How to obtain main residency in Portugal as EU citizen? - Page 2 – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

How to obtain main residency in Portugal as EU citizen?

Page 2 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@slavek)

Hello dear expats!

Me (Czech Republic) and my friend (Germany) have moved to Lisbon approx. two weeks ago. We both quitted our main residencies in our countries, therefore I assume we have to establish our main residency in Portugal now. Can you please tell us what paperwork we need to have done in order to have our main residency status in Portugal? This is our main question we want to sort out. So far we have done following paperwork:

CRUE

--> During our application for CRUE nobody asked us if we want to register our address as main residency or secondary residency. This is confusing, because for example when I was living in Austria they required to specify if the residency is main, or secondary.

NIF

--> We have obtained it with through direct visit of tax office, we have there the same address as we register for CRUE

--> We also went to their online portal and applied for password in order to be able to login

--> We want to start working for at Uber eats. For that we were asked for a document "Declaração de início de atividade Profissionais (CAE 53200)." I assume this we can do only through the online system of the tax authority (after we receive our password to log in)?

SNS

--> We have sent email to health authorities and applied for our SNS numbers through email (lxcentral.inscricoes@arslvt.min-saude.pt). I have received automatic answer from them saying that it might be done in days, but it might take couple of weeks as well. That sucks, we would like to start working for uber eats asap (btw my friend wrote to exactly the same address and did not receive this automatic answer)

--> Is this SNS for both health insurance and social security?

Banking account

We would like to open Portuguese banking account. Can you recommend some good, cheap and expat friendly bank?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

TLDR: How to obtain main residency status in Portugal as European citizens?

21 Replies

Premium Member
(@vianina)
Eminent Member

You do not need the Atestado de Residência to be considered resident, since the CRUE is what makes you resident. Moreover, to get an Atestado from my Junta you have to give a valid reason for wanting it. I don't think 'just in case' would work.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @thomasribatejo

so there is no reasonable basis on which a junta de freguesia can refuse to issue one

Not having the signed confirmation from two current residents of that parish confirming that the applicant does in fact live at the address stated would be grounds for refusal to issue it.

4 Replies
Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@old-bloke correct of itself, and I shall rephrase my earlier comment slightly!  I meant that, provided the official requirements were met, there is no additional reasonable basis on which a JdF can refuse to issue one (such as inventing a "need for a good reason")

Premium Member
(@vianina)

Eminent Member

@thomasribatejo , according to servicopublico.pt, it can:

Normalmente, ao solicitar um Comprovativo de Morada, a Junta pedirá que especifique-se para qual fim é o tal atestado, e que se apresente documento de identidade oficial – Cartão cidadão, Bilhete de identidade ou Passaporte.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@vianina I see you like to delve into the semantics 🙂 

It says they'll ask you to state what you need it for (and on another page of that site, it says something similar in different words).  My point was not that they could not ask, nor that you should refuse to tell them!  However, it doesn't specify what a "good/valid reason" might be, nor imply that they can refuse it based on some assessment of your reason (though as with so many things, it depends on the person you have in front of you).

To return to the original post, this was about what was needed; and I offered the advice that an Atestado de Residência was a useful element of bureaucratic paperwork (albeit not required for the right to reside in Portugal).  Based on my experience, it has been, in each place in Portugal that I've lived.  I have used mine less than the CRUE, but could not have got certain contracts and documents without it (and indeed, in Sintra, could not have got the CRUE without getting the Atestado first - an inaccurate local interpretation of the process!)

For us, having had it at an early stage avoided the need to run around to try to get it later on, and that was my logic in recommending it as part of the pack we've taken to anything contractual/legal/notarial.  If nothing else, it's helpful for a new arrival to know that it exists, in case someone does ask for it. 

Premium Member
(@vianina)

Eminent Member

@thomasribatejo , no, not much interest in semantics per se, but I do like facts. The Junta, according to established practice, asks for a reason before it issues the form, fact.

In years of residency I've never been asked for an Atestado de Residência. A copy of the escritura, or the lease, or the tax residency certificate that the Finanças site obligingly provides for free, does the trick just fine.

Premium Member
(@bornaa)

Up to date report, still have questions! 

We came to Sintra on 12.8., and we have airbnb booked until the end of September. I asked my portuguese friend to call for an appointment at Camara in Sintra, but they said we have to go to Junta de Freguisa to register address or something. 

So I went there on 14.8. Friday. Lady copied everything passports and NIF etc, then they said Airbnb does not count. You have to bring a document shows that you live in a residential place, rental contract etc, not a "hotel". 

So we came back and no any solution. Contacted a couple of lawyers and they say that according to EU law they should not ask for proof of address. 

As EU citizens, we should be able to provide an address and register ourselves, voila. I handled papers for lots of exchange students in Finland, they could apply for social security number upon their arrival with an address written on paper. 

We do not want to make any rental contract unless we find a furnished home with rolling contract. We would like to buy a home, which we do not know how long it will take. We have nothing but checkin luggages, therefore Airbnb works best for us. 

I also contacted a few airbnb for long term stay for a contract, but they donot seem interested in. 

Well well. One try will be:

We want to settle for Sintra and our longest airbnb is one month in Sintra. My question is

we are going to visit Ericeira tomorrow. Can we register CRUE in Ericeira camara or does it have to be in our own residing municipality, Sintra? 

Sorry for wordy, just to give an idea for others, how things turn out etc. 

Premium Member
(@bornaa)

Only managed to have our phone bill sent to our September airbnb host place on our name. I do not know this paper will be useful for anything once we get it. 

In England we used for proof of address, but here it does not seem working. Does it have to be a rental contract? It is driving me crazy. 

Without this, we cannot open a bank account, cannot get SNS or anything bureacracy, right? Or am I in a wrong loop? Ajuda, por favor! 

Premium Member
(@vianina)
Eminent Member

Do I understand correctly that you have some Airbnbs that are not in Sintra? Yes, the only Camara you can register in is the one where you are living at the time. Not all Camaras will ask for the paper from the freguesia, and not all freguesias will insist on a rental contract, so one approach could be to see what works where. Ultimately, though, if you get to 90 days, somebody somewhere will surely have to register you even if you are living on a campsite. But, if you contacted lawyers, don't the lawyers have a more precise solution than people on a forum?

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@bornaa)

@vianina Thanks for answers. Lawyers I contacted said that there should not be any rule asking about the contract of address. Or one lawyer is on holiday until September. 

So I turn to the wisdom of expats. 

Good to know that we have to register we are living. 

Thanks and have a nice day. 

Page 2 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online