Invitation Letter / Sponsorship Letter – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Premium Member benefit

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Invitation Letter / Sponsorship Letter  

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Hi - we're US citizens trying to get our D7 ducks in a row. They are requiring a 1 year lease and, as US Citizens, we cannot travel to Portugal right now until we have the initial residence visa. I've heard about Invitation Letters or Sponsorship Letters. Is this a service that someone local can provide? Where can I find someone who can help with this?

Cheers.

17 Replies
Admin
(@astridff)

Hi Jordan,

I believe our friends at Ei! Migrante may be able to help you with this.

Or, we have just done a deal with Spotahome who has flexible rental terms at affordable prices. You can request a lease agreement for your application. They offer our Premium Members a discount too. Check out the Perks & Freebies section on our site.

Astrid

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

@astridff thank you. I've been talking with Spotahome. It's just irksome to have to get a 1 year lease when we know we will move before then.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)

FYI - I think Ei! Migrante may be swamped. They haven't responded to my latest email.

1 Reply
Admin
(@astridff)

@jordan_zimmerman do you want me to follow up on your behalf? Can you please send me your email address to astrid@expatsportugal.com?

Yes I think they are very busy. Also with Brexit so close too. But you will get excellent service from them.

Admin
(@astridff)

I understand about the lease. A bit crazy really.

We checked with Cristina at Ei! Migrante this week about this new change with people needing a lease agreement in advance and the feedback we got was:

It has also come to our attention that the consulates are now requesting for people to have a NIF, Bank account and rental agreement (6 months) in Portugal.

As I always mention to all our clients, this is not mandatory by law, and the law has still not been updated, so for now it is just “mandatory” because the consulates have so determined.

To avoid any delays in the process we have begun to advise all our clients to do the NIF, Bank Account and secure some sort of a rental agreement in Portugal, all things we can assist with.

Not ideal but hope this helps.

Astrid

3 Replies
Community Member
(@omena)

Eminent Member

@astridff

Hi Astrid! Do they (City Hall) ask for an actual written rental agreement for 6 months? I tried to call the City Hall many times, but there is no answer.

Would an address at Airbnb og hotel be sufficient (good enough)?

I would be grateful for your reply.

Admin
(@astridff)

@omena you need to go to the city hall once you have arrived in Portugal and request your temporary citizenship. Where are you in your journey right now? Are you in Portugal or still aboard?

When you visit the city hall, you will need to prove you have an address here. They do not accept Air BNB for this. But you could use our friends at Spotahome and request a lease agreement.

There are some consulates now that are asking to see a lease agreement as part of their visa application - even before you arrive in Portugal. That is when the sponsorship letter mentioned can help.

Community Member
(@omena)

Eminent Member

@astridff'

Thank you for your reply. I am on my way to Faro. I have looked at Spotahome. But they do not have Faro on their list. What do you mean by saying 'to use your friends at Spotahome and request a lease agreement'?

I look forward to you reply. 

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)
Trusted Member

Interesting. Two days ago I paid Ei! for a sponsorship letter in lieu of a rental agreement. Crisitina didn't mention this change. 

5 Replies
Community Member
(@omena)

Eminent Member

@maxgravy

Hello, I am very instersted to know what is a sponsorship letter? 

Admin
(@astridff)

@omena we work closely with an immigration company called Ei! Migrante and what they can help with are "sponsorship' letters to help with visa applications. If you would like to know more, please email me at astrid (at) expatsportugal.com . If you upgrade to a Premium Member, you receive a discount off their fees associate with this.

Admin
(@astridff)

@maxgravy from what I understand, it is some foreign consulates that are asking for a lease agreement in advance. As you are doing your paperwork directly with Ei!, perhaps it wasn't relevant.

Congratulations on taking the next steps though. When do you think you will be coming?

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Trusted Member

@astridff We hope to arrive in early March. We have everything in order except travel insurance, which I hope to obtain today or tomorrow. Are there any sponsors here who offer travel insurance? 

Also, Ei! provided us with a rental agreement, not a sponsorship letter. 

Admin
(@astridff)

@maxgravy great news Max and thanks for clarifying about Ei!

No recommendations for travel insurance yet but working on it 🙂

Early March will come in no time. Keep us posted.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you renew your membership.

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online