Legalisation of Degree Certificate - UK or UAE – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Legalisation of Degree Certificate - UK or UAE

10 Posts
3 Users
6 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@gingercollectiv)

Hi all,

One of the documents I am required to submit along with my visa application is my legalised degree certificate. I am an UK citizen, which where my degree was obtained but I now reside in Dubai/UAE.

When I moved to UAE 11 years ago I had to get my degree certificate attested in the UK. This was done by send to FCO and then to UAE Embassy in London.

I have a number of queries on this which I am hoping you may be able to help with;

1). Can the same attested certificate be used again (as it already has FCO stamp) but now go to Portugal Embassy? Or I need to start from scratch?

2). Does the Portuguese Embassy need to be in UK (as that is where I was born & where the certificate was issued) or can I send it to the Embassy in UAE?

I am hoping someone else has gone through the same process, maybe not from UK but not in country of birth when getting all the documents legalised.

Cheers,

Topic Tags
9 Replies

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

What visa are you applying for that requires a legalized degree certificate?

4 Replies
Community Member
(@gingercollectiv)

@jonesdn2020 

It's for work & residency I think. Doesn't state it on the visa application form, but the relocation agent has now said it needs doing.

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@gingercollectiv With the new Digital Nomad visa I am not up to speed on the various D7 changes for what use to be highly skilled workers, etc. I thought they broke out everything from the D7 that was not passive income and shifted it to the DN route, but I could be wrong. I would talk to the experts here: Ei! Assessoria Migratória | Expats Portugal

Community Member
(@gingercollectiv)

@jonesdn2020 It's not for the Digital Nomad, I'm guessing either D1 or D2 visas. Will check with the company which is the actual visa they are applying for. Already have a relocation company on-board, but will check with the link you have sent also. Thanks.

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@gingercollectiv @gingercollectiv It would be the D1. Found this:

PORTUGAL D1 VISA

This is the residency visa for professionals who have already accepted an offer of employment in Portugal. It is valid for stays longer than 12 months. It is important to note that you can only be employed in Portugal if the position was advertised and interviewed for, and if it could not get filled by hiring a Portuguese citizen, or a citizen of another EU country. This visa is NOT suitable for non-EEA nationals who are still looking for work in Portugal.

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

I'm assuming you need this for an academic or job purpose in Portugal. Since Brexit, recognition is not automatic for UK qualifications, you'd need to follow the processes outlined by the DGES. Information (in Portuguese) here

The process is specific to each member state, so processes undertaken elsewhere are unlikely to assist.

If you merely need the document validated (in other words, not to be used for any particular academic or job purpose) it may be simpler. 

2 Replies
Community Member
(@gingercollectiv)

@thomasribatejo 

Thanks for your reply, think it will be best to use a service and send my degree back to the UK. Better to be safe than sorry.

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@gingercollectiv that approach may work if the issue is to confirm the validity of the document itself, rather than to have the qualification itself recognised.

Community Member
Topic starter
(@gingercollectiv)

Hi all,

Just to update the situation, my degree has to go back to the UK to have the apostille attached but doesn't need to go to the Embassy. Seems the Embassy stage is not required for Portugal. I was informed that my original apostille done for the UAE "should" be OK, but with the current waiting times for a visa appointment I don't want to take any chances so will get a new one done.

Thanks for all your replies and guidance, onto the next challenge 🙂

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

FREE
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Register for events

Club Member

Ideal for those already living in Portugal or researching
67 per year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Guaranteed entry to our weekly webinars
  • Access to our Migration Tuesdays Dream Team weekly webinar
  • Receive community support
  • And help us grow this website and community

Premium Club Member

Perfect for those serious about making the move
137 per year
  • All Club Member benefits plus...
  • 3 months FREE access to DailyNata Plus Portuguese language platform
  • 1 hour private online consultation with a member of our team
  • Access to our “little black book” of contacts and recommendations
  • Hundreds of €s in Savings & Benefits from our partners