List of requirements for D7 Residency Visa? – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

List of requirements for D7 Residency Visa?

Page 1 / 2

Riri
Community Member
Topic starter
(@riri)

Hello - I have been scouring the internet for a complete list of requirements for the D7 residency visa to Portugal and I cannot find all the details in one place.

Keep in mind I most likely would not be starting this process until summer 2021 or 2022 so COVID may not be a factor by then.

Can any of you add to what I have here? I have underlined my questions.

• 90€ for each visa (me, my husband)
  • Official form(s) - application(s)
  • Cover letter stating the purpose of your visit and itinerary
  • Passport or additional travel document valid for 3 months after the duration of the stay (does this mean passport must be good for 1 year plus 3 months upon arrival?)
  • Two passport photos, up-to-date and with enough quality to identify the applicant
  • Valid travel insurance, allowing medical coverage, including medical emergencies and repatriation (must cover you in the Schengen area?; valid for 6 mos after arrival?, $30k coverage and repatriation?)
  • Flight dates and times - (how far out should this be booked? I hear it could take up to 5 months to go through the entire visa process. Once your visa is approved, how long it is good for before you must leave for PT?)
  • A copy of your return ticket reservation (although not always required) -(do you buy 1 round trip ticket to PT or one ticket to PT and one ticket back to the US for on year later?)
  • Request for criminal record inquiry by the Immigration and Border Services (SEF)
  • FBI criminal background check (through private co., check fingerprints)
  • Accommodation plans for the duration of your stay (eg. hotel reservation or apt. - not air bnb? - 6mo-1yr? - I heard you need 6 mos upon arrival but then after you do your SEF appt and get your residency permit you then need 1 yr accommodation?)
  • Proof of means of subsistence as stipulated by law - 7620€ 1st adult, 3810€ 2nd adult - (is this just for one year?, then you prove income again after one year in order to renew for 2 years?)
  • Proof of subsistence means can be made through a statement of responsibility, signed by a Portuguese national or by a foreign national legally resident in Portugal (I guess this is optional?)
  • Proof of civil status (married, children, etc.) - marriage certificate (would it be that I could get a residency visa and my husband would apply for family reunification visa?)

Here is what someone suggested on their blog - sorry I can't remember the source at this point:

Come to Portugal first and do the following: get your NIF number from the local Finances office of where you want to live (you will need this to sign a lease or set up a bank account), find a place to stay and sign a one year lease, set up a local bank account and deposit 10,000 or more Euros ($13,505). It would be even better to start living in your place and have utility bills, if you can do that within the 90 days you have on your tourist visa.

Would that be a good way to do things? I also read that you can only be in PT for 90 days within a 180 day period on a tourist visa. Does that mean if you arrive and stay 1 month to prepare everything you have to wait 150 days before you can return?

Thank you for any and all info you can give me!

13 Replies

Community Member
(@calbear)

@Riri, have you got the answers for your above questions? I live in San Francisco bay area and plan to move to Portugal as soon as the pandemic is over and would like to get some tips from you since you are already ahead of me in doing this. thanks. edgar

4 Replies
 Mon
Community Member
(@mon)

@calbear Hi! I am also in SF and looking to start the D7 application process. Have you started already? I was wondering if you have to book flights before submitting the application. I don't see this as a requirement on the list that is linked for the SF embassy. Any insight would be very appreciated!

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)

Reputable Member

@mon We were just approved for the D7 in SF. We did submit travel bookings at our VFS appointment.  We did not purchase the bookings.  We have to submit updated travel reservations when we send in our passport for the Visa.  If you leave your passport with VFS then that would not be required I believe. We used Ei! from the business directory for the D7 process since the requirements change rapidly and they will keep you on track.

Mon
Community Member
(@mon)

@jonesdn2020 Thanks so much. How long did it take from submitting your application to getting approved? 
Also, did you have passive income, or are you going to work remotely?

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)

Reputable Member

@mon We had our VFS appointment on Dec 15, 2021 and were approved on Feb 10, 2022. We had passive income.

Anonymous

First go to the web site for the Consulate in your area. There will be a list of what you need to provide to them to begin the process.  Then go to the SEF.pt website and there will be a list of what you need to provide to the SEF office in Portugal when you get here. You can also do a search on this forum for the answers because they are discussed frequently. 

Best of luck 

@peggyL

2 Replies
 Dann
Premium Member
(@dann)

Eminent Member

@peggyl  Greetings, I'm a US citizen living in Thailand.  My nearest PT consulate is in Bangkok (a flight away) and their website has no mention of a D7 visa; only a "long-term" visa application and the normal list of required documents.  They also don't have contact info, so I can't ask them directly.  I am guessing they are just not calling the application D7, although "retirement" is not on their list of visas.  Any thoughts?

Anonymous

@dann

The "D7" is a new name that encompasses a lot of Visa descriptions. Can you access the Washington DC Portuguese Embassy/consulate? What you are looking for are the requirements for a resident VISA, is that correct?  Are you moving from Thailand to Pt. for residency? Or school? or employment??  If you let me know what type of Visa you are going to apply for, I will try to help. Because you are a US citizen it's different than if you were a Tiwanese. Which I am guessing is why you cannot find the information you want just with a search. 

@peggyL

Community Member
(@calbear)

@peggyL thanks for you advice. can you message you with some questions about algarve?edgar

Community Member
(@calbear)

@PeggyL sorry typo, I instead of you

1 Reply
 Anonymous

@calbear

yes, just click on my username to get to my profile then click messages

@peggyL

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online