Madeira v Mainland Portugal – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Premium Member benefit

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Madeira v Mainland Portugal  

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@audjen)

I recently got my residency certificate in Madeira, and one thing that the lady at the Camara said still worries me.

When I said ‘I’m now a Portuguese resident’, she pointed at the certificate and said ‘no, Madeira, if you go to Portugal you have to start again’

Its my understanding that moving to the mainland in the future would be no different than moving municipalities, where you just have to change address with all departments.

I’m hoping that it’s a translation problem, as her English was basic, and my Portuguese non existent. I have asked the British embassy for clarification, but just got referred to the ‘how to apply ‘ documents.

Has anyone here moved from Madeira to Mainland Portugal, or have any knowledge about this please.

6 Replies
 Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)
Trusted Member

Congratulations! Madiera is a beautiful place to be. I am not sure about the starting over in terms of residency but Madeira while Madeira is part of Portugal as a whole in 1976 it was granted political autonomy by Portugal and has a separate legislative body. 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@audjen)

@bert Thanks for replying.  It’s Brexit that I’m worried about,  

I don’t mind jumping through some extra red tape, so long as I’m EU resident. This lady got very indignant when I said PORTUGAL resident, but was charming before that. Perhaps it’s a cultural thing.

Have attached my certificate.

Admin
(@astridff)

That certificate looks exactly the same as mine and I got mine here in Lisbon.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@audjen)

@astridff That’s a relief. Thank you.

Pato
Community Member
(@pato)

We moved to the Algarve from Madeira a year ago and went to SEF with our existing permanent residency documents and changed our address. This week we received our Permanent residency card replacement. It was the lockdown that caused the delay but it was straightforward! 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@audjen)

@patoThank you for the information, I’m very grateful.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you renew your membership.

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online