Moving from UK – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Moving from UK

14 Posts
6 Users
15 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@marks77)

Hello all.

Myself and my family are in the process of selling our home in the UK, offer accepted and should be completed after Christmas.

This will leave us with enough money to buy a property in Portugal and have approximately £80k to put in to a portuguese bank account

We are only in the stage of researching what is needed to get residency in Portugal, in regards to the D7 visa would having enough money in a portuguese bank account to show we can sustain all 3 of us be acceptable or not?

Or will we have to go another down another visa route? 

Thanks

Mark 

Topic Tags
13 Replies

Premium Club Member
(@blaze451)

Hi, D7 visa requires you to show you have a passive income of at least €760 per month (your income can come from pensions, transferable equity, real estate, intellectual property, or financial equity). Money in bank is optional and can help your case but the income requirement is a must. Depending how much you have to buy property with you could go down the golden visa route which is still valid, although there is rumblings of it being withdrawn. 

1 Reply
Community Member
(@marks77)

@blaze451 

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately we would not have the sufficient funds to go the gold visa route.

It seems that if a passive income is required, then I will have to secure work in portugal before we can look at moving over. Is there anywhere that is best to source english speaking jobs in Portugal? 

I thought that having funds in the bank to show that we could sustain ourselves for the initial 2 years on the D7 would be accepted, thus giving myself time to find employment or for us to start our own - if that is not the case then it looks like we cannot move 

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

We used Ei! Assessoria Migratória | Expats Portugal for our immigration and their other company Casa Portuguesa | Expats Portugal for our accommodations. 

I don't know if you are aware, but the immigration laws were updated on Aug 26th of this year. SEF is undergoing a restructure and things are a bit in the wind on when and where they will land. That is why we used Ei! since they know the workers at SEF. 

You need a passive income stream for the D7. There are various routes you can show this and Ei! can help. We chose not to put our money from the sale of our house into Portuguese property but into passive income streams that SEF acknowledges. 

The bank accounts do not hurt but they may not be sufficient without a passive income stream in addition. 

9 Replies
Community Member
(@marks77)

@jonesdn2020 

Thanks for replying. I will look at contacting Ei for advice 👍🏼

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@marks77 If you have a difficult time getting through to them by email then just ask @gerry to connect you.

Community Member
(@marks77)

@jonesdn2020 

Hi jut in regards to what you mentioned about passive income streams, did Ei set these up for you? 

After selling our uk home we would have enough to buy a small home in portugal which would leave about £80k in funds.

Long term we are looking at the possibility of buying 2 properties and running one as a let or a property that has annexes to run a b&b 

I take it Ei would advise on what the best route for us to take would be 

Just concerned now that without a passive income we wont be able to start a new life in portugal

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@marks77 We had setup our passive income streams from the sale of our home prior to engaging Ei! since we were aware of what Portugal was looking for. There are some that Portugal does not like. 

When we showed Ei! our existing portfolio they just confirmed everything was good to go. I just remember Gilda advising someone on the YT migration shows that if they invested all their income in a home they might not qualify for a visa. 

Yes, Ei! made sure we didn't mess up a couple of times. We could have lost thousands without their services. Being a Premium member on Expats Portugal gave us the 10% discount on all services so we saved a few hundred euros on the services as well.   

Community Member
(@marks77)

@jonesdn2020 

I have emailed Ei so hopefully will get a reply on Monday. No, we wouldnt be putting all our funds into a property as we want funds to help us sustain ourselves until i either got employment or we possibly set up a business like a B&B 

The only other way i suppose may be to get employment prior to miving there. I am a qualified drug/alcohol recovery worker here in the UK for over 10 years. I have already contacted a rehab treatment centre in Portugal about any employment vacancies where i can use my experience.

I also have experience in customer support/sales support prior to my current role.

Community Member
(@marks77)

@jonesdn2020 

Hi. I have just read some info on the D7 visa that says the following:

In terms of savings, the Portuguese government does have a route to apply for the D7 by providing proof of sufficient reserves which can cover an applicant’s living arrangements in Portugal for the validity of their residency permit.

I will wait for Ei to get back to myself and see if this is an option. When the sale of our house is complete, we will have enough funds to buy a property and then have in the region of £100k left over to be put jn a poruguese bank account which would cover more than what is required to sustain myself, wife and child for the 5 years of the visa

VIP Member
(@antonio_f)

@marks77 There's no 5 year visa. The visa is valid for a few months, allowing you to enter Portugal legally, and (supposedly) during that time frame you will have an appointment with SEF (or another new immigration service) in order to provide you with a 2 years Residence Permit, if you still want to be in the country. Before the 2 years end, you have to request an appointment for another Residence Permit, now valid for 3 years. That's the situation nowadays (before pandemic it was 1+2+2 years). After that you can apply for a long term Residence Permit ou citizenship (conditions apply).

Anyone else correct me (if I got something wrong, as I'm no immigration expert).

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@antonio_f Correct!

Community Member
(@aspidistra)

@marks77 hi Mark, I have looked into all this myself. I believe there are two separate things. You need to be able to show money in a Portuguese bank account to sustain you, in the first instance, for the two year visa. (You don't need to show five years as they don’t give you five years' visa in one go.)

Then the thing about having a regular passive income is a separate issue. 
I see you are thinking of doing B&B or similar, a good way to generate an income when you are here but of course income generated inside Portugal won’t count as passive income.

Sounds like you are in an interesting area work-wise, I assume you are learning Portuguese as presumably you would be competing with Portuguese speakers for work. Also things have changed a lot since Brexit, you would have to find an employer who was willing to get you a work visa whereas anyone from an EU country can work in Portugal with less hassle.

I hope you get some useful advice from Ei, would be interested if you report back on what advice they give you. Best of luck.

Community Member
(@rhona)

Hi Mark

We are also looking to do this but rather than sell we can generate the income by renting out our house. I believe this is acceptable. 

But will need to get some cash behind us also so hopefully a plan for next year. 

Sick of spending money on utilities and really fancy trying the good life. 

Good luck to you. 

Rhona

Rhona

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

FREE
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Register for events

Club Member

Ideal for those already living in Portugal or researching
67 per year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Guaranteed entry to our weekly webinars
  • Access to our Migration Tuesdays Dream Team weekly webinar
  • Receive community support
  • And help us grow this website and community

Premium Club Member

Perfect for those serious about making the move
137 per year
  • All Club Member benefits plus...
  • 3 months FREE access to DailyNata Plus Portuguese language platform
  • 1 hour private online consultation with a member of our team
  • Access to our “little black book” of contacts and recommendations
  • Hundreds of €s in Savings & Benefits from our partners