New England residents do not go through VFS – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

New England residents do not go through VFS

3 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
VIP Member
Topic starter
(@jonesdn2020)

I had an interesting conversation with someone in Boston. She told me that New England residents go directly to the consulate in New Bedford. Do we have any New England residents here? I confirmed that New England is not listed on the VFS offices for assigned states. Odd! 

2 Replies

DXJ
Premium Member
(@dxj)

Regarding consular jurisdiction in Massachusetts, the split between New Bedford and Boston is especially tricky. New Bedford serves certain counties and cities in Mass., but the rest of the state (and the rest of New England) go through the Boston consulate.

https://www.immihelp.com/portuguese-embassy-and-consulates-in-usa/

The Portuguese consulates in the northeastern states from Delaware through Maine are a bit complicated when it comes to their consular jurisdiction. I thought the Portuguese embassy provided a list of these until recently, but I can't seem to find it on their website as of today. I just posted a third-party link above.

In addition, Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania are served by the Newark consulate. Rhode Island has its own special consulate.

It may be best first to check with the appropriate consulate in your consular jurisdiction before proceeding with a visa application. Consular jurisdiction may be different for visas versus for other consular activities. For all I know, some consulates may redirect visa applications to another consulate if not covered by VFS.

Aside from the above, I think all the other states, commonwealths, and territories go through VFS in one of their three US-based application centers. The jurisdiction of the New York consulate covers Connecticut, New York, and also Michigan somehow, and those states thereby can go through the application center at VFS New York.

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/prt/news/book-your-appointment-as-per-the-consular-Jurisdiction

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@dxj Thank you for the information. I will pass it along to my friend in Boston, but I think she has a handle on it now after calling or emailing them. I was just unaware that VFS does not cover the entire US.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

FREE
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Register for events

Club Member

Ideal for those already living in Portugal or researching
67 per year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Guaranteed entry to our weekly webinars
  • Access to our Migration Tuesdays Dream Team weekly webinar
  • Receive community support
  • And help us grow this website and community

Premium Club Member

Perfect for those serious about making the move
137 per year
  • All Club Member benefits plus...
  • 3 months FREE access to DailyNata Plus Portuguese language platform
  • 1 hour private online consultation with a member of our team
  • Access to our “little black book” of contacts and recommendations
  • Hundreds of €s in Savings & Benefits from our partners