New residence permits for UK nationals – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

New residence permits for UK nationals

Community Member
Topic starter
(@christiaan)
Eminent Member

Has anybody received an email inviting them to book an appointment to provide biometric data for the new residence permit yet?

I registered on brexit.sef.pt in December but haven't heard anything yet.

Topic Tags
11 Replies

Community Member
(@dez10)

Hello 

we have not heard anything yet, although we did register after you.

Still awaiting email to book an appointment.

VIP Member
(@boomerang)
Eminent Member

i had been trying without success to register on their web site. so i phoned and spoke to a fellow who talked me through the process. and now i have a certificate to say i have applied for residency. i haven't heard more since about two weeks. i am assuming they will get back to me. but if not i will phone again.

4 Replies
VIP Member
(@tootsie2)

@boomerang I called today September 9th 2021 and they told me the same story as months ago that I will be notified via email.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@tootsie2 indeed, there's a more recent part-thread on this discussion

https://expatsportugal.com/community/postid/188614/

British in Portugal recently confirmed there is still no plan/timeline, and we just need to wait, unfortunately.  This was confirmed two days ago by the British Embassy on Facebook.

I know this doesn't exactly help - but may save some calls/emails or concerns that people have been forgotten.  No-one has got to the next stage yet!

VIP Member
(@tootsie2)

@thomasribatejo Thank you Thomas for picking up on this. I was told today that my wife's residency card, though expired, was still valid within Portugal until end of this year. The question is relating to a flight from the UK to Faro whereby the card would be presented to Ryanair at point of departure in the UK. We cant find out here if they will accept this expired card even though its valid within Portugal.

As I see it, when we arrive at the airport we are of course in Portugal where this card is supposedly valid. I am trying to contact Portuguese Embassy in London tomorrow so hopefully they will pick up the phone or see an email and clarify the position.

(@thomasribatejo)

@tootsie2 Ah - this thread is generally about the transfer from CRUE to the new cards, whereas it sounds like you're talking about the post-5-years residency cards.  The Portuguese government having issued various statements about the extended validity of documents, you should have no issues when dealing in Portugal/with the Portuguese authorities.  I don't believe that people abroad should have any interest, given that the passport not the residency card is the travel document... but I may be missing something.

(@thomasribatejo)

They have yet to begin the process of arranging appointments to take biometric data, after which cards will be issued. As I understand it, no-one has been processed beyond the temporary certificates at this time. There is currently no information on when this will begin, although before the January COVID wave, it was due to have started by now.

2 Replies
Community Member
(@suziq)

@thomasribatejo I called too in May and the fellow said the same thing, that they would email  when they are able to do the biometric data.

(@thomasribatejo)

@suziq Yes, latest suggestion is "this month"... but let's see!

Community Member
Topic starter
(@christiaan)
Eminent Member

My EU Citizen Registration Certificate expires tomorrow. Mine was only valid for a year.

It seems like these Residence Permit Application Certificates take precedence in terms of residency, but I assume I'll still need to present my EU certificate as identification in some situations, which I hope doesn't present any problems given that it's expired.

1 Reply
(@thomasribatejo)

@christiaan Provided you have the CRUE (EU doc) and the print-out of your brexit.sef.pt application with the QR code, you should be fine.  However, it is likely that many people won't be fully up to speed, so you may at times need to explain, or insist (as I did just yesterday at the Junta de Freguesia, who don't often deal with residency paperwork, let alone "odd" stuff like our interim situation).

It's unfortunate that the error in them only giving you a one-year CRUE didn't get rectified, as there's no good reason for not giving the full 5 years... it's just misinterpretation, and could have been challenged before 31 Dec 2020.  However, it shouldn't prejudice your position, given that you have the other cert.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online