New residence permits for UK nationals - Page 2 – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

New residence permits for UK nationals

Page 2 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@christiaan)
Eminent Member

Has anybody received an email inviting them to book an appointment to provide biometric data for the new residence permit yet?

I registered on brexit.sef.pt in December but haven't heard anything yet.

Topic Tags
11 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @thomasribatejo

Until anyone has one, it's hard to be sure with what timeline their expiry date will align - there are several logics which could be applied, I imagine.

If the new cards comply with the EU approved format for resident's cards (which they should) the expiry date on the card only means the date the card expires (Regulation 2017/1954).

In the small print of that Regulation's text can be found the following;
The entry shall only be made in a date format (dd/mm/yyyy) and not in words such as “temporary” or “unlimited” as the expiry date relates to the physical document and not to the right of residence.

One day one of us may actually be issued one of these elusive new cards to know what's going to appear in its title as the words temporary or permanent are permitted there. 

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@portofakiwi)

Estimable Member

@old-bloke Fingers crossed then... I'd like some kind of residence security....

Community Member
(@suziq)

And of course SEF has now been disbanded and will be taken over by the department that handles asylum seekers. We may get lucky and the new department may want to process us quickly, one can only hope. 

2 Replies
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@suziq 

I believe IRN (notaries) will be dealing with those who currently have residency.

Article 3 of Lei 73/2021.

Atribuições em matéria administrativa

1 - As atuais atribuições em matéria administrativa do SEF relativamente a cidadãos estrangeiros passam a ser exercidas:

a) Pela Agência Portuguesa para as Migrações e Asilo (APMA), serviço de natureza administrativa com atribuições específicas, a criar por decreto-lei, no prazo de 60 dias a contar da data de publicação da presente lei;

b) Pelo Instituto dos Registos e do Notariado, I. P. (IRN), no que respeita aos cidadãos estrangeiros titulares de autorização de residência, nos termos a definir em diploma próprio a aprovar pelo Governo, bem como no que se refere à emissão de passaportes, aplicando-se, com as devidas adaptações, as normas em vigor.

2 - A APMA é um serviço da administração indireta do Estado, com a missão de concretizar as políticas públicas em matéria migratória e de asilo, nomeadamente a de regularização da entrada e permanência de cidadãos estrangeiros em território nacional, emitir pareceres sobre os pedidos de vistos, de asilo e de instalação de refugiados, assim como participar na execução da política de cooperação internacional do Estado português no âmbito das migrações e asilo.

3 - Até à entrada em vigor do diploma referido na alínea a) do n.º 1, são mantidas em vigor as normas que regulam os sistemas informáticos e de comunicações do SEF, incluindo as relativas à parte nacional do Sistema de Informação Schengen e outros existentes no âmbito do controlo da circulação de pessoas, passando a sua gestão a ser assegurada por uma unidade de tecnologias de informação de segurança, nos termos fixados por decreto-lei.

4 - Junto da APMA funciona um órgão consultivo em matéria migratória e de asilo, assegurando a representação de departamentos governamentais e de organizações não-governamentais, como tal reconhecidas nos termos da lei, cujo objeto estatutário se destine primordialmente à defesa dos direitos das pessoas migrantes, refugiadas e requerentes de asilo, à defesa dos direitos humanos ou ao combate ao racismo e xenofobia, competindo-lhe, designadamente, emitir pareceres, recomendações e sugestões.

Community Member
(@suziq)

@old-bloke thank you for posting

Community Member
Topic starter
(@christiaan)
Eminent Member

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agência_Portuguesa_para_as_Migrações_e_Asilo

However, at the end of November 2021, a bill authored by the PS was presented to the Assembly of the Republic, which establishes the extension of the period of extinction of the SEF for another 6 months, due to the worsening situation of the Covid-19 Pandemic. This diploma was approved in Parliament and promulgated by the President of the Republic. Thus leaving the implementation, amendment or revocation of the law previously promulgated in the hands of the next composition of Parliament and the new government that leaves the legislative elections on January 30, 2022.

So May 2022 at the earliest for new residence cards I guess. More likely end of 2022, even 2023.

Ugh! The reason I'm so keen to get it is so that I can open a bank account with Moey, which only accepts Citizen/Resident Cards as identification!

Page 2 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online