I have been doing some research and what I have learned so far is that if you are an American and want to move to Portugal on a D7 visa you must have proof of health insurance before arriving in Portugal. I have some questions about this:
1. Do you get travel health insurance? or do get actual private health insurance that is based in Portugal?
2. For what length of time do you need to buy coverage? 6 months? 1 year?
3. I heard the premiums are higher if you buy it while you are still in the U.S. vs. buying it once you are in PT. It seems there is no getting around this at first since you need to buy it before you are in the country for the D7 visa.
4. The monthly premiums for this private health insurance seems to be way less than U.S. monthly premiums. Just as an example if I wanted to put my husband on my health insurance plan that I have through my job it would cost us $750 a month, whereas, I have heard that a couple can pay as little as 35 euros a month for private health insurance for two adults! I also came across a single woman paying 100 euros a month. Still very acceptable! But it does seem there is a range. I assume it has to do with your age and how much coverage you are wanting to buy.
5. Do you have to buy separate vision and dental insurance? Or are there plans that combine medical, dental and vision?
6. I know that there are scenarios where you can use the public healthcare system. Can you do this as a temporary resident on a D7 visa? or do you need to be working for a PT company and paying PT taxes? OR do you need to become a permanent resident or citizen?
Thank you in advance! 😊