Our D7 / Residence Timeline – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Our D7 / Residence Timeline

19 Posts
7 Users
53 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@martinhardy)

For anyone interested - just wanted to share the timeline for our process from deciding to buy in Portugal through to Residence cards issued. You notice I say issued, not "in hand"!

Timeline 2021/2022

May / June – living in Singapore, listening to Munsen and others on the joys of living in Portugal, always one of our favorite places in Europe.

Late July – flight to Portugal in search of a property to buy for GV, definitely NOT in Algarve. 18 days target. House hunt via WeChat - wife in Singapore scouring websites

August – 2 changes of flight and hire car to extend hunting trip. Not much property of interest to fit our tick boxes. Gazzumped on my eventual choice.

September – 2 more changes of flight and hire car extending trip again. I'm not leaving till Ive bought! Offer accepted on Jojo’s choice of house. Now planning for D7 as advised.

October – back to Singapore, moving cash to Portugal from NZ / Singapore. D7 Visa Application lodged and passports must be surrendered for duration.

November – Completed purchase of house – IN Algarve! Fun (NOT) moving cash within Portugal to make payment deadline.

December – passports are returned complete with D7 visa 28-12-21 to 28-04-22. With SEF Appt for May.

January – fly to Portugal for one month to see if ‘er indoors approves.

February – decided to stay till SEF Appointment in May. Bought car and motorbike

March / April – enjoying the amazingly green Algarve, new challenges, pastel da nata, Super Bock and super wine!

May 10th – a positive SEF Appointment, departed Portugal (although Res Cards not yet issued) heading for NZ / Singapore to sort out property affairs

June 14th – Residence Cards still not issued and no news from SEF via Agent - checked with airline in Singapore on acceptability of our SEF docs – can’t board without Res Cards.

June 24th – Agent collects Residence Cards from SEF. Waiting for advice on courier and tracker.

Our "adventure" has taken about a year with a number of challenges along the way - some of our own making I suspect, but probably indicative of the general flow of the thing towards the conclusion that we will hopefully have those Residence Cards delivered to Singapore and in our sticky hands in the not too distant future.

If anyone would like to have a chat and attempt to avoid some of the pitfalls we encountered I'm happy to share.

Best of luck to those of you going through, or considering the D7 / Residence process.

Martin & Jojo

18 Replies
2 Replies
Community Member
(@nikkolux)

Posted by: @martinhardy

For anyone interested - just wanted to share the timeline for our process from deciding to buy in Portugal through to Residence cards issued. You notice I say issued, not "in hand"!

Timeline 2021/2022

May / June – living in Singapore, listening to Munsen and others on the joys of living in Portugal, always one of our favorite places in Europe.

Late July – flight to Portugal in search of a property to buy for GV, definitely NOT in Algarve. 18 days target. House hunt via WeChat - wife in Singapore scouring websites

August – 2 changes of flight and hire car to extend hunting trip. Not much property of interest to fit our tick boxes. Gazzumped on my eventual choice.

September – 2 more changes of flight and hire car extending trip again. I'm not leaving till Ive bought! Offer accepted on Jojo’s choice of house. Now planning for D7 as advised.

October – back to Singapore, moving cash to Portugal from NZ / Singapore. D7 Visa Application lodged and passports must be surrendered for duration.

November – Completed purchase of house – IN Algarve! Fun (NOT) moving cash within Portugal to make payment deadline.

December – passports are returned complete with D7 visa 28-12-21 to 28-04-22. With SEF Appt for May.

January – fly to Portugal for one month to see if ‘er indoors approves.

February – decided to stay till SEF Appointment in May. Bought car and motorbike

March / April – enjoying the amazingly green Algarve, new challenges, pastel da nata, Super Bock and super wine!

May 10th – a positive SEF Appointment, departed Portugal (although Res Cards not yet issued) heading for NZ / Singapore to sort out property affairs

June 14th – Residence Cards still not issued and no news from SEF via Agent - checked with airline in Singapore on acceptability of our SEF docs – can’t board without Res Cards.

June 24th – Agent collects Residence Cards from SEF. Waiting for advice on courier and tracker.

Our "adventure" has taken about a year with a number of challenges along the way - some of our own making I suspect, but probably indicative of the general flow of the thing towards the conclusion that we will hopefully have those Residence Cards delivered to Singapore and in our sticky hands in the not too distant future.

If anyone would like to have a chat and attempt to avoid some of the pitfalls we encountered I'm happy to share.

Best of luck to those of you going through, or considering the D7 / Residence process.

Martin & Jojo

Great to hear you have made it, we are waiting for the visa to come through, and are going to move to the algarve in Silves - renting first as buying fell through, and  would always like to hear advice and stories from your move !

Premium Member
(@martinhardy)

@nikkolux Happy to share!

In Singapore again, should return to Algarve first week of Sept.

Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

Outstanding information!  I logged your D7/Residence journey on the spreadsheet.

Expats Portugal D7/SEF Process

7 Replies
Community Member
(@grmfiles)

@misticjeff Hey Jeff, does your spreadsheet have any information on the time taken by New Delhi Consulate for processing D7 visas. I submitted my application 12 weeks ago. Still waiting. Thanks in advance.

Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

@grmfiles not yet, but if you give me the dates you have so far based on that spreadsheet i'll keep it updated.

Community Member
(@grmfiles)

@misticjeff Thanks for your reply. I submitted my D7 application at Vfs, New Delhi on 14 April 2022. I'll update you if there is any development. I guess Gilda may have mentioned some timeline based on her experience with the New Delhi Consulate. Maybe not. Not sure. Thanks!

Premium Member
(@varindermanoor)

@misticjeff  I submitted my D7 application at Vfs, New Delhi on 08 July 2022. to the New Delhi Consulate

Community Member
(@grmfiles)

@varindermanoor Hello, did vfs take your biometrics? Thanks

Premium Member
(@varindermanoor)

@grmfiles Hello, No they did't take my biometrics. Sorry for late reply

Community Member
(@grmfiles)

@varindermanoor Hello, thanks for the reply. They did not take mine either. I was a bit curious, that's all. By the way, I am still waiting for the embassy's reply. Thanks.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@martinhardy)

Pleasure!

VFS Apointment was 28th October, visa issued 3rd December. SEF was in Portimao.

1 Reply
Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@martinhardy Thank You, for sharing another Expats Portugal success story! We joined the same time as You & Jojo. We would not be living in Lisbon currently without all the help from the Premium Plus program and this forum.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@martinhardy)

Final (??) update on this one.

Today dhl delivered our Portugal Residence Cards to us in Singapore. Job done. What was all the fuss about.

So now we have the ability to travel back to Europe we're packing our bags to get ready for our flights on Tuesday.......... to New Zealand..... 🙂

Ciao!

4 Replies
 Hez
Premium Member
(@hez)

@martinhardy How long are you in New Zealand? I'm here in Auckland. We are looking to be Lisbonites by July next year or, if I can get a remote job, Algarvians 😉

Premium Member
(@martinhardy)

@hez We've a place in Queenstown - will be there next midweek for 4 weeks. Happy to have a chat while we're in country 👍

Hez
Premium Member
(@hez)

@martinhardy That would be great to catchup. Just heads up, it is school holidays here for the next weeks so you will have a lot of families about, including some of my extended family ☺️

Hez
Premium Member
(@hez)

Email hezzaro@gmail.com

Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

Update:

Gilda confirmed today on the GMP show that D7 approvals from the San Francisco consulate are at approx. 12-14 weeks now.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal