Recommend me a Portuguese bank – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Recommend me a Portuguese bank

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@shortiao)

So, I've been here a week, applied for my NIF and now looking to open a bank account.

Any members have any recommendations or any banks I should totally avoid?

Iain

13 Replies

Premium Member
(@kellyd)

We got a Millennium Bank account with the help of EI! before we came. But now that we are here, the lady we rent from said she would never use Millennium Bank because they make it too difficult to open an account or get anything done. She likes Caixa Agricola. We have no complaints with Millennium. Our limited experience with them has been positive.

ACK
Community Member
(@ack)
Eminent Member

Activobank if you just want a simple account and are fine with using an APP.  They do not charge any account maintenance fees and you can still get away with using many Millennium services as Activo is part of their group of companies. They do not have many branches and don't deal in cash though.

Community Member
(@antonio_f)
Reputable Member

A survey made 1 year ago by DECO Proteste (portuguese consummers' magazine) among their associates showed the banks with the best ratings in terms of costumers' satisfaction: 

1 - Activo Bank

2 - Banco Finantia

3 - Banco Invest

4 - Best Bank

5 - Banco BIG

These are all small or more specific banks, with a limited (or even none) number of branches.

The "regular" banks only showed up in position 8 (Banco CTT [The Post office bank]) and 9 (Caixa de Crédito Agrícola).

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@alleycat)

Trusted Member

@antonio_f and is there data in your magazine articles about various banks' financial strength and solvency risk, in the case of global recession...so our accounts remain fairly secure?  Thanks 😉

Premium Member
(@sunil)

Trusted Member

@alleycat I had a look at the DECO Proteste site and this seems to be the relevant article, if you'd like to check it out yourself for various insights and details: https://www.deco.proteste.pt/dinheiro/contas-ordem/noticias/maiores-bancos-desagradam-clientes

@Antonio_F Thank you for mentioning DECO Proteste, it looks like a helpful resource!

-Thea

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Reputable Member

@alleycat All bank accounts up to €100 000 are covered by a fund.

Banks are regularly (don't know the frequency) tested/checked (stress test): https://www.bportugal.pt/en/page/exercicio-europeu-de-stress-test

Community Member
Topic starter
(@shortiao)

thanks guys

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online